In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wind is playing havoc today

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I took my custom built ugly-duckling XP-100 in 6BR .269 neck 8 twist out to see what I could do in the blasting winds this afternoon. It is always good to learn by shooting in adverse conditions. Mrbruce built the rifle for me out of used parts to kill coyotes. I had him build it after the coyotes ate my dog; Dink, I still miss Dink, I killed the coyote. [:D]

WOW; a .500 capable rifle can go to a .850 rifle real fast when you are trying to judge wind with no flags at 200 yards. It also hurts to have the wind flopping your target around like a frog in a blender...... I was shooting 105 A-Maxes over 30.0 of Varget lit by CCI SRM primers.

Comments

• WayneShawWayneShaw Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love XP's. They are amazingly accurate. It's a vibration thing, or rather a lack of vibration, that makes them shoot so well. If you do your part, they certainly do theirs.

Learning how to shoot in the wind is every serious shooter's goal. How well one learns determines how well they shoot. Flags are the only way to get the best out of your gun.

It's surprising how many people go out to shoot without flags, spend the whole day trying to get a gun to group, and never realize why it won't.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bpost1958,

test:

barreldimensions.jpg

Best.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WayneShaw
    I love XP's. They are amazingly accurate. It's a vibration thing, or rather a lack of vibration, that makes them shoot so well. If you do your part, they certainly do theirs.

Learning how to shoot in the wind is every serious shooter's goal. How well one learns determines how well they shoot. Flags are the only way to get the best out of your gun.

It's surprising how many people go out to shoot without flags, spend the whole day trying to get a gun to group, and never realize why it won't.

Well; this XP-100 ACTION is now sporting a 26" fat ugly Shilen barrel in a modified metal/wood concoction of a rifle stock with a 4X16 Burris Black Diamond scope on it. [:D][:D]

Mrbruce has a great knack for making weird stuff shoot bullets into one little hole!!!!!