In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 garand food

spider65spider65 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
ok would it be ok to use H380 hornady 150 soft point in my garand how about win748 with 150hornady just a thought and how much of each I have a bunch laying around and I sold my bolt action quote:

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    748 would be fine in the 48 gr range. 380 is right at the border of what is too slow but would probably work as well, but I don't have a load for you.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    H380 start at 53.0gr. 2798fps. to 59.0gr. 3005fps. max.
    W748 is 48gr. 2810fps. as jonk said.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info also I have heard that winchester large rifle primers are to soft and could cause slam fire in my 3006 garand ???
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    In theory. I've never had an issue with them. CCI makes a milspec primer. I've never needed them.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slam fires in an M-1 are the result of the primer not being seated properly in the case. (.003 to .008 below flush) I'm not aware of any other causes.
  • Options
    ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I handload for my Garand and shoot in local match late winter. It's been a learning curve! I use commercial & military brass, full length resize, trim to length, uniform primer pocket, remove flash hole burr, use the CCI #34 mil-spec primer, put in 48 grains of IMR 4895 and seat a 150 grain FMJ bullet that will be factory crimped into case. You now have loaded one round to go with 7 others into the ENBLOC clip. The Garand gas system is "fixed" so you can't play around with too many powders. Got to have a "medium" burn rate to hit that gas port with the right pressure.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    how about H4895?
  • Options
    ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use again 48.0 grains of IMR4895 under 147 to 150 grain Military Ball Bullets. For H4895 use 46.0 grains under the same ball bullet. Info taken from .30-'06 Loads in "The Complete M1 Garand" a Guide for the Shooter and Collector by Jim Thompson. Other reloading information is offered therein.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for info I loadedsome last nite well see how it shoots[:D]