In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

44 MAGNUM POWDERS

I'm confused again! This time it's over powders. I'd like one powder for my 44 magnum Ruger Redhawk, S&W 29-3, and for my 357 S&W 66-3. I'm not really into heavy magnum loads and I don't hunt so these would be pretty much for plinking.

Thank you all for taking your time to respond to my questions. I finally found and ordered an 8 lb container of 2400 on many members recommendations. Thanks again!

Take Care...

Comments

• reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does it matter? no
  • craig 25-06craig 25-06 Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don`t know about "perfect" but I`ve always used 2400.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The difference in diameter you are experiencing has little bearing on reloading except for a possible issue with too large a case diameter with thick brass. If you experience collapsed cases when seating the bullet you may need to adjust your die a bit.

I know many shooters like H-110 and the same powder from Winchester, 296. With these powders you MUST adhere to the loads listed, reduced loads are dangerous. You can not deviate from the loads in the book.

As mentioned by Craig 25-06, I much prefer 2400 in the 44 Mag. Accuracy is exceptional and loads can be adjusted to find the sweet spot for your gun.

The Lee Reloading book has many loads from many sources. I find it to be very helpful when seeking data outside the most popular.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    You don't say what gun you are loading for. I loaded 21.0gr. of 2400 with a 240gr. bullet for years for a S&W 29. Then went to H110 for a Ruger Redhawk with same bullet. As said don't worry about the .001 diameter difference. And if you use H110 stick to listed loads.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2400 works for me.
  • big kingbig king Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    try winchester 296. 24.5gr 240gr lead swc... great all around load in 44 mag
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2400 for an all around powder and H-110 for the full house loads. The H-110 performs best (complete burn) under as much pressure as possible. The 2400 will do it all.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shadowland52
    I agree with most. 2400 is my powder of choice for this caliber. I have used 110 & 296. One thing you might consider is to load up some 44 Specials for reduced recoil. For 357, I have tried most powders and now use Unique exclusively.
  • shadowland52shadowland52 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr
    shadowland52
    I agree with most. 2400 is my powder of choice for this caliber. I have used 110 & 296. One thing you might consider is to load up some 44 Specials for reduced recoil. For 357, I have tried most powders and now use Unique exclusively.

Ok, here's another dumb newbie question...What's the difference between 44 special & 44 magnum? The powder load?
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The length of the shell. 44spl. holds less powder.
  • SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Blue Dot if not going for max loads. It seems to work better in the 357 and gets me where I need to be in the 44 mag, special and 41 mag. Most of the time when you are tryilng to use a powder for a variety of ctgs there is a little compromise across the board.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of my .44 plinking loads center around 9.5 gr of Unique and a 240 Keith-style SWC. I doubt this load is going to drop a bull moose in charge, but there's enough oomph to make an afternoon fun. I also use Unique for .38 and .357 plinking loads as well.
  • 44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is hard to load with just one powder like you want. You can but why? I agree with most that a 357 unique load is great all a round with performance and feel. Now with a super redhawk I feel if I am going to shoot this thing I want to feel power and this gun can handle almost anything you load. I generally load middle of the road and mild powders on all my caliburs except for the 44 this gun I use 296 or h110 and just short of the top. It is great fun and you get people looking at you like what the hell are they shooting?
  • owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    Bullseye for 44mag, 38 special, 357mag, 9mm, cheaper, use half as much, gets the job done fine. Target or hunting either one.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm using IMR 4227 with a 200 grain bullet for deer in a 10 inch contender for deer.
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the above recommendations of 2400. If you are not pushing the velocity to the limit, 2400 will do the job well.
  • jordanwebsterjordanwebster Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey guys, this is my first post, so if I'm in the wrong spot, point me toward a different thread. I won't take it personally. I have a little more specific question I hope someone can answer. I'm new to handguns, and I just bought a .44 Super Blackhawk (7.5 bbl). I bought a box of Hornady XTP 240 gr. ammo, cleaned the gun, and shot all but 6 of the rounds. The gun didn't group at all. I wanna hunt with it obviously, or I wouldn't be too concerned. I have dies, brass, and bullets, but no powder or primers yet. What I want to know is a proven load or factory ammo for this particular gun, because I'm a little worried about it right now. I don't care about the recoil, because I won't be plinking with it, and the 240 gr. didn't bother me at all, so give me your best be it big or small. Thanks a lot fellas.

Jordan
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jordan

Each gun is its own boss. Each likes its own load. However, I have had good luck with 21-22 gr 2400 behind 240 gr XTP or Speer GD for accuracy. For hunting purposes I prefer a heavier bullet. I have had the 240s fail to exit too many times when shooting @100 yds or more. I prefer the 270 Speer or 250 Nosler partition. Just my opinion. Good Luck.
    edited November -1
    Thanks a lot. I actually bought 100 240 gr. XTPs for handloading, so I guess I have to try em out. Maybe it'll work if I make the rounds myself...Sorry for not specifying what I'll be hunting, but I'll be after Whitetail in Mississippi, and I didn't scope my gun. Shots out to 100 yards are unlikely. Might try those gd's too. Jeff Quinn from gunblast recommended 250 gr. Keith style bullet from Mt. Baldy. Any experience with cast?
  • rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello;

hunting loads = 21.0 gr of 2400, large pistol primer, 240-250gr bullet. if you use cast lead bullets, anything over 950fps(ish) you will lead the barrel. if you use a lead bullet make sure it's a gas checked bullet with the above load.

240gr jacket h/p (winchester & hornady) shoot well in my ruger, smith, and marlin lever action.

suggest you look into light loads with bulleye or ww231(hp38) with a lead bullet in the 250 grain range. cheap to shoot, very accurate and easy on recoil.

you might look into 44special load data. 44 special loads just seem to shoot well in everything, with a lot a lot less recoil.

using 11.0gr of 2400 in my 357s, with a 158 grain gas checked lead bullet. full house loads in the 357 with 2400 is a real hand full in smith "k" frame pistols. they hurt!

note; 2400 is a little on the dirty side.

rp
    edited November -1
    I do need to check into the specials because right now it's the only pistol I own, and I like to carry it as a sidearm now that we found out we have hogs. Any my buddy just happened to buy a .357 and 100 158 gr. XTPs. I'll tell him to give this a try. Thanks
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I use unique for all
    my revolvers and bullseye
    for my semis-,they shoot
    better than i can
  • 79mustang79mustang Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try hodgdon longshot, works great for me. Not much slower than H110 and uses way less powder.
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    2400 and H110 works good for me in 44mag and 50ae. 2400 also sems to be good in my 410 loads as well