In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone else shoot Calhoun Rifle bullets?

BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
Curious to see if anyone else shoots Calhoun bullets? I sold them for several years when I ran a gunshop and we had a huge following of varmint shooters. I have had good luck with their "Double Hollow Point" bullets. I have not seen any in my area "Southern Oregon" since we sold the shop.
Calhouns are the bullets with the silver colored Zinc plating.

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like their 37 DHP for the Hornet.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use his 28 grain HP's in a .17 Mach IV.
    It turns gophers into a red mist.

At a gun show last year, I looked at one of his rifles in the .19 Hornet caliber - it looks like a really interesting round.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I am shooting the 19 cal 32 grain bullet. It is great! I have never seen the bullets at a gunshop, but I know you can still buy them from Calhoon himself.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BHAVIN,

I have shot hundreds of the 52 gr. DHP in a .22-250 Rem. on prairie dogs and other varmints of opportunity.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear that there are others out there. I have a bunch of the 52g DHP's loaded up in 22-250 waiting for the next hunt. If you have not tried them they are worth checking out.

Nononsense, how have you found the accuracy out past 300yds? I have used quite a few out to that range but have not used them further yet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have hit ground squirrels at 450 yards with calhoon's 19 cal 32gr bullets...smacks them really good even at that range, the DHP opens up great.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good to hear 5mmgunguy. I have had great luck with them but until this last year hadn't had a place to shoot squeaks out past 300. Looking forward to some longer shots this next season. I hit a Rock Chuck at 296 yds a couple of months ago with a 52g DHP in 223 and it really did a number on him.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Try calling up Calhoon, he has some great places up in MT.