In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lyman or RCBS Electronic scale/dispenser

aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
I am considering a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 or a Lyman 1200 DPS 3 electronic scale powder/measure. Anyone have any experience with these? I'm looking for ease of use, reliability, warranty and speed. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    My buddy has had a RCBS for a couple of years now and seemed very happy. I just picked one up a couple of months ago. I have run about 200 rounds of the same charge on it. It seems to work just fine but I can not give a good report on it. It is very easy to use.
  • kshockkshock Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have any experience with the RCBS, but I use a Lyman 1200 DPS. I really like this one and it is easy to use and plenty fast enough for me. I've loaded 2000 rounds and I use this to throw my powder charge as I'm putting a bullet in the one I just charged. I still use a single stage so this speeds things up considerably plus I know that the powder charges are accurate.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've had the Lyman 1200 DPS II for a couple of years. I picked it because it is one piece. The RCBS has to stay lined up to work.
  • idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started with a Lyman but after a short time it started acting up. Weigh a charge take it of the scale then put it back and it would say something different. Took that one back and the second one did the same thing. Then bought the RCBS and it's been perfect for over a year now and it sure speeds up parts of the reloading process. Obviously all of the Lymans aren't bad but that was just my experience. Take a look at the customer reviews at some of the major online retailers. Wish I'd done that to start with.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    My buddy has had a RCBS for a couple of years now and seemed very happy. I just picked one up a couple of months ago. I have run about 200 rounds of the same charge on it. It seems to work just fine but I can not give a good report on it. It is very easy to use.

Why is that?

FWIW...from all of the reviews I've read, the Chargemaster is hard to beat.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

Why is that?

Poor wording. I can not give a detailed report as I have not used it enough to do so.
  • navlav8rnavlav8r Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I consider myself "old school" and have used a Lyman 505(?) scale since 1966. I bought a Lyman DPS III about two years ago when Midway had them on sale and am VERY pleased with it. The "auto repeat" feature is especially handy. After you pour a powder charge into a case, when you replace the pan back on the scale it automatically starts dispensing powder so you can be seating a bullet while it's weighing the next charge.
    Included is a "choke" device that slows down the flow rate when it's used with coarse powders. Even so, sometimes it overshoots by a couple of tenths. I keep a 1/4 teaspoon measuring spoon by the unit so if that happens all it takes is to dip out a few kernels to be right on. Even then it's much faster than my fairly quick technique with my old scale.
    Emptying the unit requires carefully following the instructions for a couple of times but then it's a piece of cake.
    I would buy one again in a heartbeat!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

Why is that?

Poor wording. I can not give a detailed report as I have not used it enough to do so.

Gottcha...I wondered if that might be the case. That combo is on my want list...let me know how well you like yours'. [8D]
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have had the original RCBS unit since they came out and you could not pry my hands off it - unless it was being replaced by the new model.

There is simply no way you can weigh and trickle up charges AND load ammo faster than with these units. While the next charge is dispensing, I'm seating a bullet in the previous round. By the time I do that and pick up a new piece of primed brass, the next charge is ready, weighed to the tenth grain with the weight displayed in big numbers (no slipped poise weight giving me a load five grains off!)

No loading blocks to spill, no mis-read balance beam, no time lost, and no charge un-weighed. Every round gets exactly one weighed charge, every round gets inspected, and reloading is FUN.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the RCBS combo, splurged when MidwayUSA had it on sale on my birthday 2 years ago. Love it, fast, convenient, and accurate.

I was checking every 5th powder charge when I first received it. Right on, then I went to 10th, 25th now I do every 50th. Very, very accurate, I checked with both my RCBS and Lyman beam scales.

I have had no issues with phone or other electric items messing it up, I still try and keep those things away from it.

The only thing you must be careful with is having a breeze on it, even just waving your hand by it will change the reading, but like the other person said; "Could not pry it from me".
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just received the RCBS from Midway and used it to throw hundreds of 25-06 charges. Awesome piece of equipment. Thanks for the help everyone.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the old model RCBS and it works great. My buddy has the New model RCBS and it is even better. It is faster and I really like to load with it. I heard a rumor that RCBS is coming out with an even newer one but I don't know that for a fact. I hope they do because my buddy always has to have the newest thing. Then I can buy his for cheap![:D]
    edited November -1
    I knew you'd like it, aap2.

I'll let you know if there's a Generation III model coming from RCBS after the SHOT Show in January. That's where they make all their new product announcements. Anything's possible.
  • sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky - Let me know also if you do not mind. I am on the fence about buying one and if there is a new model I will invest in it or watch for the current model to be reduced. Thanks .....Mark
    edited November -1
    Yup. I meant that I'd post it here. And I shall.
  • gunprofitgunprofit Member Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't own either one, but the reviews that I have read say that the RCBS is much faster than the Lyman.
    edited November -1
    BTW, Hornady has just offered one. It looks almost exactly like the new RCBS, and probably costs less. See it here: http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Auto-Charge
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS is getting the nod from what I understand. I have the PACT combo and it works great.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Hornady looks like it is a one piece unit and retails for $317. Maybe it is less elsewhere and I guess I should have looked first as
    I just ordered the RCBS 1500 combo from Nachez because of the price (under $300 total including shipping) which is the best I've seen anywhere in awhile for that.

Maybe this means they are trying to clear out their stock in anticipation of a new model?
  • texshootertexshooter Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had the RCBS for about 2 years.

I wish this was around 30 yers ago, when I started reloading.

I am not giving this one up, until I am six feet under.[:D]
  • laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been using the RCBS for awhile now, and have no problems!! I have been pleased with the performance. I bought mine from MidSouth, and price including shipping was less than $300. Here is the link.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0004498923
  • N8WillN8Will Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the RCBS new model, bought it when it first came out. I won't go without it EVER!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    The Hornady looks like it is a one piece unit and retails for $317. Maybe it is less elsewhere and I guess I should have looked first as
    I just ordered the RCBS 1500 combo from Nachez because of the price (under $300 total including shipping) which is the best I've seen anywhere in awhile for that.

Maybe this means they are trying to clear out their stock in anticipation of a new model?

The RCBS is probably a better unit.

BTW....that is an excellent price...that's basically wholesale on the RCBS.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    RCBS would be my choice.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    I've had the Lyman 1200 DPS II for a couple of years. I picked it because it is one piece. The RCBS has to stay lined up to work.

I just got my RCBS and the two units are locked together by a framework underneath so it is one piece unless I decide to disassemble it..
    edited November -1
    That's the new model. The first one (like mine) was separate, scale and dispenser.