In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bullseye shooters UPDATED 6/9

OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
I have seen them shooting at the range before. last night i stopped in to check it out. Looks like it might be fun. I dont have all that "STUFF" on My Ruger 22/45. I'm thinking i'll give it a try next friday.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello been shooting Bulls-Eye pistol for Long time 32 trips to Camp Perry Great sport if you have any ?? about equipment ETC drop me an email by going to my profile page Cheers"PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I started with a 22/45 and it is fine for 50 ft or 50 yds. After you shoot it a few times you may wish to have the trigger worked to 2 lbs., and if you are old (40+) you may wish to use a "red dot". Like most sports, you can spend as much as you wish, but you've got a good start. Don't worry about shooting next to a person with a Hammerli, the Bullseye shooters are good guys (and gals)and will bring you along.

I now have Clark 41's, Marvels, and High Standards. None made me shoot better then with the Ruger, just liked the guns. Karl (perryshooter) is a true expert and will give you good advise, but let him know your budget.

You'll have a good time.
    edited November -1
    Hello I sent you an email but will repeat here The ruger will do fine for now however I suggest you go to BROWNELL'S web site and get a trigger kit with adjustable overtravel screw This will give much better trigger They also have red dot mounts. Use any ammo that comes close to 100 % function as most Rugers will hold 2 inches or better at 50 yards from a Ransom Rest . In Bulls-Eye shooting N R A style we have to shoot one handed . IMHO more rounds down range is better investment then big bucks for match ammo at this point for you. See if you can find a pistol club near you that has a bull-eye program and find out If there is an older guy that would ENJOY being a mentor. Where do you live I have name and address to every Pistol shooter that has ever shot at Camp Perry from the years of 1972-2005. might be able to find someone for you.. Cheers Karl.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got it thanks,

I live in Gunnison Colorado, I shoot out at gunnison sportmans assosiation range. I believe there is a state qualifing match here this weekend. Don Samilion?? (i probably butchered his name) is the Range Master. He and most of the guys that i met last friday all have offered to Help get me started and bring me along. I Shoot skeet and trap with most of them Great guys. Friday i will see how it goes. Oh, I found that same trigger kit for $20 less at
    http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=RSC
    edited November -1
    Tonights the night.

First atempt at this

hope i dont shoot my eye out[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Odawgp
    Tonights the night.

First atempt at this

hope i dont shoot my eye out[:D]

i didnt shoot my eye out, scored 603 first time ever
    edited November -1
    Perry....

I have been shooting off and on for the last few months. probably the best bang for my buck as far as cost of shooting goes. I have been stuck in the mid 600's for a while. took the gun into a smith and he dropped a Volquatsen trigger and installed a mount for the red dot I'm shooting now shooting 750-760is and even broke 800 last week thanks for the advise and info. Heres some eye candy
    IMG_1742.jpg
    edited November -1
    Hello [:p][:p]GREAT JOB any time you shoot 800 or better you have to be doing a BUNCH of things RIGHT[:D][^]. I don't know if you are shooting in matches that the scores are turned in to the NRA but . One point to be aware of NRA has classifications that reflect your scores the last 360 shots fired determine your Class no matter if you shoot them 90 shots per match[:0] or 360 rounds in one day 2700 plus team matches of 90 rounds. With this said May I suggest you go to a 2700 match even if you have to borrow a 45 . The reason being it is best to shoot with your peers of like skill levels .This way you will place in some matches and pistol shooting is a big part mental . If all you shoot is a 22 your classification will reflect your 22 only scores an 810 average will put you in the expert class then when you go to a 2700 match as an expert the rest of the experts will clean your clocks in the centerfire and 45 stages [:(!][:(]. OK no big deal you are shooting for "your" personal best[:0] But remember that mental part . being last in class with the centerfire and 45 stages will play on you mentally. [:(][V]
    edited November -1
    Need a center fire pistol now

I have considered Springfield and Rock Island

the more I read the more I realize the above mentioned pistols although good for the money they are not bullseye pistols

Anyone "perry" have any suggestions

I am looking into

RRA,

Sig Sauer

Les baer but their website is down???
    edited November -1
    Hello If possible find a Bulls-eye shooter that is thinking about retiring hopefully a master class shooter. See if he has a used 45 That you could test. I prefer a ransom rest to ANY other method . This rest will take MOST of the human factor out of getting a true comparison of group size between pistols and Ammo. Now for testing you will with a ransom rest have to began with TWO unknowns #1 Pistol #2 Ammo . like a chain the weakest link will show it's ugly head I suggest you start the test at 25 yards this will show SOME Idea of pistol quality you will be looking for say a 1 inch group lets say instead you get 3 inches now go to testing at 50 yards if the group size is say 9 inches the pistol is most likely NOT up to the quality you seek however if groups go to 12 -18 inches then most likely it is poor ammo match to this pistol go back to 25 yards and test other ammo If none of the ammo shoots near the one inch 10 shot groups then the pistol will not be what you need for Bulls-Eye match shooting. Rember that mental part it will be harder at first to shoot a 45 then a rimfire the last thing you need is a pistol that is not up to quality you need. A good used properly set up Bulls-eye pistol FITTED SLIDE TO FRAME Fitted Barrel and good 3&1/2 pound trigger will take you into scores that only a $2000.00 new pistol can match. However DO NOT buy a used pistol you can not test. BUBBA might have been the gun-smith. Feel free to email me if you find a used pistol . ROCK RIVER "not rock island" or Les Baer make good match pistols but $$$ and even then some of these are not up to SNUFF. As far as KIMBER COLT ETC remember "CHROME DON"T GET YOU HOME " on match pistols a used one that gets good groups is head and shoulders above a GLITZY new pistol. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"

[:0]EDIT I am sure others will have different opinions But NO FACTORY
    "SIG 1911" will give you the sub 3inch group size you will need to shoot better then mid level expert scores if you shoot 50 yard slow fire in your 2700 matches. IMHO only a Hand fitted barrel done by a GOOD pistol smith or a semi custom shop like Les Bear. Rock river, Ed Brown or some of the others Will give you what you may want The cheapest way to go is a series 70 Colt then install a BOMAR rib sight arrangement or slide mount for red dot sight Then at a later date get a BULLS-EYE pistol smith to put in a Kart or Barsto Match barrel. That is why I suggested a used match pistol email me at my profile if you need more information on pistol-smiths etc if you like
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sites I use seem to be working.
    These might be what you are looking for.

http://www.lesbaer.com/comp.html

http://www.lesbaer.com/thundr.html

http://www.lesbaer.com/
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    The sites I use seem to be working.
    These might be what you are looking for.

http://www.lesbaer.com/comp.html

http://www.lesbaer.com/thundr.html

http://www.lesbaer.com/

they started working after I posted, I tried most of the day Sunday and half the day Monday to get on

Baer's are a lot $$

anyone have experience with Sig's Target
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    You might also try Clark Custom guns. They are a little less expensive then Les Baer or RRA. Also, if you buy a used one they will do a tune up for about $150. I prefer using the Giles style guide pins that Clark offers. Very accurate from a ransom rest. (I know PerryShooter won't like that, but Karl's a true purest for the 1911)

Best bet is to talk with older Bullseye shooters since most have numerous guns.

Good luck