In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hot Factory Ammo??

Hello all.

I almost never shoot factory rifle ammo but I did have half a box of 7mm Rem Mag. lying around and decided to shoot it. The ammo was made by Federal and is not the Premium line, but the newer line that comes in the blue box. (A replacement for the Classic line??) I don't know if the gun matters for my experience, but it was a Rem. 700 police model. Anyway, after shooting it I was having a problem extracting the shells. The bolt would easily rotate up, but not to the rear to eject the shells. It was actually stuck to the point where I needed a small mallet to drive the bolt rearward. Does anyone have an idea as to what caused this? I was thinking the loads were too hot, but I didn't have this problem when I shot the first 1/2 of the box last year.

Dave

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Where was the ammo stored? If it was hot from being stored somewhere it got hot the pressure would go up. What did the brass look like when you got it out?
  • Options
    bassassassin007bassassassin007 Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think there were any heat issues. The ammo is kept in my basement which is the coolest space in the house, about 75 degrees when at its warmest. The brassand primers looked fine other than the friction marks from the inside of the chamber.

Dave
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Are you sure the chamber of the rifle is clean When you clean the bore after shooting most people forget to clean the larger CHAMBER part of the barrel then when you fire the round it expands crushing the case into the dirt/rust this makes the case hard to extract. But it sounds strange to me that the bolt handle will lift as this in normally a cam action for primary extraction and then the bolt handle is moved to the rear for final extraction[?][?]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dirty or rough spotted chamber.