In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Qustion on compressed loads

Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
Picked up a bunch of different powders from a friend. $100 for 14 pounds so not bad. Most all have loads for what I am shooting but a couple have loads listed as "compressed loads". Anything special about this or is it just filling the case and the bullet will press the load some?

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    depending on the brass volume, it may be more or less compressed. The bullet will seat and compress the powder. Work up slowly and watch for pressure. As long as you are working from book loads,..there is a margin of safety built in.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'm using a compressed load for my ar15. note: all of the compressed loads in my book also call for magnum primers. magnum primers were all i could find from the stores around here which is why i'm using the compressed load in the first place. hope this helps
  • Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks - all loads are from books or on line and listed as begining.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maxx424,

As long as you are double checking to see that the loads are safe you will be okay. With slower powders in a smaller case you're not necessarily going to see a sharp spike in pressure. One thing to look out for though is how deep you seat the bullet. What may be safe with a 'jump' to the lands may be dangerous with the bullet in the lands. So don't just change bullet styles of the same weight. Bullet weights with different shapes, of which some require pushing into the lands to get better accuracy, may cause pressures that are too high. A slower powder burn would get more pressure than with a faster burning powder because there is more powder igniting behind the temporarily stuck (micro-seconds) bullet. Just remember to go back to starting loads when seating bullets into the lands.
  • Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help!