In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gas Checks??

44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
Does anybody know if there is a compression difference between lead loads with or without gas checks? I am currently loading my 44 mag with SWC 240g lead with gas checks. Does this change the load or compression of the reload??

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure what you mean by compression of the reload? If you mean powder compression, it does not make a difference. IF you are compressing the powder a lot, I would change powders to one that doesn't fill the case as much. Watch you cases for too much pressure.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The check should be considered as part of the bullet weight, but beyond that the same load would work for bullets of the same weight and profile, with or without the check.

I am puzzled by 'compression' though- of the powder? Of the lead slug? In either case- I'd say no. If you are loading compressed loads, seating depth matters, as well as profile and weight. If you mean of the lead itself, the bullet might distort a bit less with a check, but will swage to fit the bore in the forcing cone and throat anyhow.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I talked to 44shotdoctor last night about this. Substitute "pressure" for "compression" and the question becomes clearer.
    And I'm curious to know the answer as well.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Pressure = Compression Pressure in a straight walled pistol case is cause by #1 the burn rate of the powder and amount of this Powder #2 the weight of the bullet #3 how hard it is to engrave the bullet in the lands and grooves of the bore of the barrel #4 the amount of friction to push bullet down the bore. The fact that all you are changing is the weight of the GAS CHECK there would be a minimum change in pressure . The main purpose of a gas check is to keep the hot gases from melting the base of the lead bullet. "CHECKING THE ADVERSE EFFECT OF BURNING GAS" you can fire a gas checked pistol bullet at higher velocity larger amounts of powder higher pressure.