In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7mm TCU----

Which brass would be best to use for forming 7mm TCU ? Would military brass work as well as commercial brass? Which brass would hold up better without split necks, etc.? Rem., Win., Fed. or which commercial brass works better and lasts the longest? Sure would prefer not to use new brass all the time.

Thanks---Peabo

Comments

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't use military brass, it's thicker and does not fire form well. i had been using federal,then ended up with a mix from my son who bought out an entire reloading room from a guy who no longer trusted himself to shoot.i keep brands separate. neither the rifle or pistol seem to care what brand.all the brass i got was once fired .223,some split some didn't,didn't matter what brand. i probably only lost 2% total.since using as 7mmtc/u i haven't had any split.
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    Thanks, brier. I also thought the military brass would be too thick, but it sure is plentiful !! If I can find a lot of once fired commercial, that is what I'll use most.

Thanks---Peabo
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speaking of the 7mm TCU,

I have been looking at a fire arm in this. I know the contender and it's reputation(well deserved) but looking at other options as well. How easy is it to obtain a Savage Stryker in this caliber. I saw a Competitor cannon in 7mm TCU. What does anyone think of that firearm? Any other options out there?
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior, the only one I know of is the contender.

Thanks---Peabo
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try brassmanbrass.com his prices are reasonable.
  • b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have bunches of formed 7mm tcu brass !15.00 per 100 plus 5.50 shipping
  • Flint54Flint54 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [?]I've been loading and shooting a 7MM TCU for @ the past 15 years. Granted many individuals say not to use Military Brass due to mainly the brass being thicker than Commercial. Some say that it will not fire form well.

I am not one of the experts but I will state that I was a Small Arms Instructor at one point for @ 10 years. During this time I was able to accumulate an adequate supply of 5.56, 7.62, .45, 9MM & .50 BMG. This brass was not required to be returned and was left at the range. I also had a part time job at this same range and was able to pick up the brass when off duty.

Anyway; Due to having this supply I began to run some tests and by starting with given starting loads I as with all other loading worked up my loads to safe and sane levels. All were below published Maximums. I have found the following to be True; 1) There is more case prep with military brass. 2) Maximum loads with military brass will be less than commercial. 3) Velocities with military brass will be higher than commercial with a given ammount of powder. 4) Cases made from military brass will fire form best when using bullets over 120 grains, my best results have been with bulk 140 grain JSPs normally Winchester but at times I have been able to get Remingtons. 5) Best/Maximum case life will come from commercial brass unless the military brass is annealed in the neck area. 6) My TCU Brass on hand is 80%+ military.

I use the 7MM TCU in a Contender; Pistol & 21" Carbine bbl. Also in a Savage 10FP. Very accurate, cheap to shoot and takes North Carolina Whitetails with ease. This is the way things have worked out for me.[:)]
    edited November -1
    Thanks for sharing, Flint54. The only problem with military brass is the cracking, but if you have plenty of it, it really doesn't matter if you lose some.

Thanks---Peabo
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flint54,

I appreciate the feedback.