In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Use expander with bushing dies

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
Should the case neck expander ball be used with Bushing type dies? It comes with a locking pin that would not expand the case mouth upon reomving it from the die, or the expander ball.

I would think that using the expander ball would be correct since controling spring back from the bushing might not be consistent. By running it through the ball the diameter would be more consistent.

Any words of wisdom out there?

Thanks MRBRUCE I really appreciate the die, I'll send you a check next week.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I take it out of my bushing dies. Most runout comes from the upstroke of the press when the expander comes back through the necks. Best advice is to turn the necks, then not use the expander. reason being, the turned necks will have eliminated the high spots which would normaly be pushed to the inside of the neck when it was sized by the bushing outside the neck, and then the high spots are supposed to be pushed back to the outside when the expander ball comes up through the neck. However, once you have uniformed the necks in thickness, you simply size them with a bushing to get nk tension.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I also take out the expander when I'm using a bushing die.
    Wilson inline dies don't even have a place for one, so why bother to use one ....
    Bushings are the only way to go for that perfect neck tension........