In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Getting Back into Reloading

Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
I used to reload quite a bit, years ago, but sold all of my equipment.
Now due to an increasing firearm population in my gun cabinet, and the ever increasing ammo prices, I am planning on re-entering the hobby!
I have a new RRA AR-15 on order, plus an XD .40S&W subcompact,.....also on backorder. I will be reloading .223, .40 S&W, .9mm, .45ACP, .357Magnum, and .38 of course.
I used to have a Lee Progressive,.....don't remember the model, and a Lyman tumbler.
Since this was years ago, and I am totally out of touch on the current models, any recommendations on decent quality setups, without taking out a loan, would be appreciated much![;)]
"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner

Comments

• CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dillon Square Deal B

or 550B

Any decent Tumbler as well as a good scale.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    If don't plan on reloading 1000's of rounds at a time, a good turret press will work for you. I have the Lyman one. It has 6 holes in it so you can set up each turret (extra ones cost about $35, new) for two different pistol calibers, or 3 different rifle calibers and then all you have to do is change out the turret and the shellholder and you are ready to rock.

Here is a good kit:

http://www.grafs.com/metallic/product/150692

They also have this kit with the electronic scale.

The only thing that I would suggest to add to the kit is a hand priming tool (Lee, Hornady, and RCBS all make them). Using the priming arm on the presses is a pain. They aren't that expensive and the Hornady and RCBS ones use the same shell holders that you use on the press.

Hope this helps you out. Reloading can be a very enjoyable past-time and there is nothing better than shooting your first animal or winning your first competetion using ammo that you loaded yourself.
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember Dillon from way back.
    Never owned any of their stuff, but heard it was high quality.
    I am not retired,.....yet, so I will probably stick with a progressive, for the time savings, for now.
    I would need the 550B, or similar, as I will be reloading straight wall pistol, but want rifle ability also.
    Thanks for the info so far,......any other opinions are certainly welcome.
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    [Marc1301 Posted - 08/19/2007 : 6:43:57 PM
    I remember Dillon from way back.
    Never owned any of their stuff, but heard it was high quality.
    I am not retired,.....yet, so I will probably stick with a progressive, for the time savings, for now.
    I would need the 550B, or similar, as I will be reloading straight wall pistol, but want rifle ability also.
    Thanks for the info so far,......any other opinions are certainly welcome. /quote]

the answer is Dillon
    i reload .223 ,38 super ,45 ,40 ,7mm,and30-06 all on a 550
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Square deal B as you probably know will not load rifle ammo. The 550B is a great way to go. I have used 550's, 650's and 1050's and I really prefer the 550B. Outstanding customer service. I have yet to see another company in the reloading industry that will take better care of you. Although RCBS is very good as well.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Dillons are great, but I am suspicious of anyone who charges twice as much as their competitors.

I'd look hard at offerings from Hornady Lyman and RCBS.

Lees work but are finicky and cantankerous- at least their Pro 1000 which is what I have. I'd advise against it.
    edited November -1
    Dillon might charge more because you don't have to buy replacement parts. I think they charge more because their presses actually work to perfection. The others would charge more if theirs did.[}:)]
    edited November -1
    Right now I am trying to find the best price on a 550B!
    I did have some problems with my Lee progressive, but nothing major.
    Once again, I have never heard anything bad about Dillon, even though I have never owned their product.[;)]
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the Dillon RL550.

You will NEVER regret it.

You could load enough ammo on a Dillon RL550 in one day to pay for it if you worked at it a little.
    edited November -1
    Well it appears that the 550B is simply $379.99 everywhere, although you can get free shipping from some places other than Dillon.
    Being that it has been so long for me, and I have no idea what component prices are running,........lets assume I already have the brass. About what would it cost to load a standard 55 grain FMJ .223 load?
    Lets say per 100 rounds, and I already have the brass.
    I have 1000 rounds of commercial brass .223 loads arriving today.
    Any ideas?
    edited November -1
    Here is a handy place to figure that out.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

I would guess if you use surplus powder like I do you are looking at about $12.00 per 100 if you do not count brass.

If you buy your Dillon from a Dillon dealer they don't usually charge you shipping so you save that. I ran a shop for 3 years where we were Dillon dealers. If you get the 550 and have ? give me a holler.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for that link Bhavin!
    That is significant,.......about 170 bucks savings per 1000.
    Wouldn't take long to pay for the Dillon setup at that rate.
    You may regret the offer for a "holler" if I get the Dillon, which at this point, I am quite sure that I will.
    I just got my 1000 rounds of S&B in a bit ago.[8D][;)]
    edited November -1
    No worries. Give me a holler before you buy your press, dies and etc. and lets talk.