In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Primer in bullet

pladsplads Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
I realize this is a bit of a wierd/stupid question but I recently had a friend's son tell me his father use to seat a primer in the end of a 303 soft nose lead bullet. what do you think of that for something different? I haven't been able to talk to the father yet(and no, not because he is dead). I just wanted to get some expert advice before I dress him down. Cheers,Plads

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would not react fast enough at rifle speeds to make a difference. But, a percussion cap loaded in a hollow cavity pistol bullet with make a noticable pop when it hits a steel target at 25 yards.

BTDT
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I wonder what his reasoning for that would be.
    Sounds like a poor use of a good primer.
    Now a match head, or a lighter flint on the other hand in a hollow point rimfire 22 is very usefull now and then [:D]
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There has been specialty 12 ga shotgun shells that are made with a hollow point and are menat to have a 209 primer pressed into the center. They were supposed to explode on contact. I have now idea if they work or not.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    The way I see it is you don't try shooting anything you wouldn't shoot next to a cop. It might be neato to pop a cap or stuff screws or BBs or whoknowswhatall into the nose of a bullet; but what for?
    I don't think the extra 9 grains or so will make any difference in a rifle caliber.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years (many) ago I used to shoot indoor matches. After the official shooting we'd often end with a little informal competition including 2X4 blocks set on a board at 50 feet. One guy used to load .22 L.R. cases (with powder, but minus the lead) backward in .38 specials that been hollow pointed to accomodate this addition. As I recall it made quite the racket downrange when he connected.