In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best Pistol Reloading Manual

MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
I got a gift card for $25.00 and want to buy a reloading manual. I have the Lyman manual already. What is a good follow-up? I am loading .45 ACP, .44 and .357 primarily for local range competition shooting.

Comments

• CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put up another $25 and get the Hornady set.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I have found that I like the reloading manuals from Powder Companies better then bullet companies I would pick the one from the brand of powder you like. A side benefit is many of them are free. With this said IMHO most loads listed are for Hunting / defence and are much Hotter then the best Target loads as far as group size and comfort to the shooter as well as wear on the firearm . I have a 45 ACP Colt WAD GUN with over 250,000 rounds thru it and I doubt if my arm or gun would be still going if I shot 1000 FPS loads. I do a lot of ransom rest testing and my guns and others shoot very good groups at 800 FPS with 200 grain lead bullets I use this just as an example your mileage may vary and also your needs. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ken Waters "Pet Loads" by Peterson Publishing. I also like the "Handloader" magazine by the same company.
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the free manuals from powder mfg's and Lyman's Pistol and Revolver manual. I scrounge loading data from everywhere I can find it and put it in a spread sheet. Sort by bullet weight, velocity and pressure in that order. That is how I pick new powders, I also look for loads with powders I have in stock and compare, I often can use a powder I already have if I don't need maximum performance.

Tim