In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

clays vs titegroup

wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
im reloading 45 acp and 45lc. which powder do you guys prefer or think is better between the two. ive heard there both a clean burning powder.

Comments

• PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I load a lot of 45 LC with titegroup. I have not tried Clays. I load most of my 45 ACP with 231 and AA5. Titegroup is intended to be less position sensitive in cases with extra space such as the 45 LC that was a black powder cartridge origonally.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Many Master class shooters use Clays but the same thing can be said for Bulls-Eye, Vitivori 310 and 320 as well ,Titegroup, I have been loading 5000-7500 Bulls-eye wadcutter and ball rounds for 35+ years with hand cast H&G 68bb and Lyman 45266 and the last 20 years with the now out of busniss Star 200 grain & 185 grain as well as Nosler 185 and Serria ball . I have tested 1000's of rounds in 20+ guns in Ransom rest and IMHO you will need to find your guns sweet spot . I think the speed of any bullet is the key and The Star 200 Likes 800-810 FPS and Ball 230 Grain likes 850 +or- 10 FPS . I think if you find your pistols sweet spot any powder within reason That measures well with your reloader "I LOVE STAR UNIVERSAL WITH CASE FEEDER" will give you great results . Just remember you MUST test at 50 yards . any load in a good pistol will shoot at 25 Yards"PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience is that the titegroup loads a little better in the larger 45LC case. I'd call it a "wash" in the 45ACP. Both burn clean, but I'd say the Clays is a little cleaner.
    If you load any shotgun target loads in addition to the handguns the Clays would load great for that also.
    Good Luck........[^].
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine uses Clays for all his 40 and 45ACP rounds. He shoots 10,000+/year in competetion. Perry recommended Bullseye, I personally think it is too dirty. Just my 2 cents as I'm not the veteran reloader that these other guys are.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the replies everyone. just gonna get a pound of each and take it from there.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am a master class shooter, and shoot 25,000 rounds a year, i use clays in my .45, as for all other handgun calibers i use titegroup
    edited November -1
    thanks "1911" guess i`ll use the clays in my 45 acp/45lc. and then titegroup with my 38/357.
    edited November -1
    forgot to ask ya "1911" why is it you like the clays so much in your 45s`? thanks
    edited November -1
    i use 185 grain swc's with 4.5 grains of titegroup, it gives me a pf of 170, with a sharp,quick snap on the recoil, not as much of a flip with other powders, very consistent and predictable, and it is very clean which is a must when shooting a 200 round competition with a 1911
    edited November -1
    i thought you said you used clays in 45 cal. i must have mis-read something but i dont see it.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    ok do i have this rite. clays in 45acp and titegroup in 45lc? sorry just want to make sure i understand.
    edited November -1
    titegroup is great for any long case, it burns more evenly through out the case, clays how ever does not, this can be told be using a chronograph, with clays if i tilt the gun upwards, and let the powder settle, i can get up to 50-75 fps more, with titegroup, it pretty much stays the same regardless of how the case is handled, even when doing just the opposite, and making the powder settle in the front

in a long case you will get better consistency with titegroup over the clays
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I love Bullseye and have been using it since the 1960's. It smokes like heck and get the gun dirty, but puts them in a nice tight group and never fails to ignite. Use it all the time for 45ACP and 45LC. I use Winchester 231 also and like it but don't thinks its as accruate.

I have three one pound cans of titegroup that I purchased recently and intend to try it out. Many of you have recomended it on this forum over the last few months so I will give it a try. Its hard to change at my age![:(][:(]
    edited November -1
    thanks again "1911" youve been a big help
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I recently tried titegroup in mt 41 mag and special loads and have found it to be extremely sooty. i'm wondering if it isn't a combination of that powder and my lube which is a softened red rooster. The cylinder of my Taurus was just black after 5 rounds but I have used it in my 40 cal and have not seen the sooting.[?]
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had good luck shooting Titegroup in my .41 mag S&W. Doesn't seem to be sooty. We use Blue Angel lube. I use Titegroup for my 9mm, 45acp, 41mag & 45lc will probably use it for more calibers eventually. I like having a powder that is accurate in several calibers. It isn't for hot loads but for plinking I have been impressed. It is also a couple of bucks a pound cheaper than most other powders at least in my area.