In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

OAL for Hornady 55 gr VMAX

guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
I have a 22-250 that I'm loading for. The Hodgdon site calls for an OAL of 2.350. I have seated the VMAXs about .015 off the lands and my caliper measured 2.430 OAL.

Comments? Need more info to make an informed comment?

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The important question is why/how are you measuring OAL?? Tip variances are HIGH from bullet to bullet. Do you have or are you using a COMPARATOR??? The seating length from the ogive to case-head is more important,..or should I say relevant.

You will ALWAYS find that the load data, seating length (oal), etc from the companies in business,..will be VERY conservative. This is because they hired too many lawyers and not enough balisticians[:(] They error on the side of caution so as to avoid a lawsuit which they should win anyway. If you handload,..you have voided any expectation of compensation from the company who built the firearm, when you blow it up. But there are also lawyers who would say they were still at fault. Hence you're conservative info that is available from said companies.

I load into/at/off the lands for anything I load for. If your rig is performing,..with no exessive pressure signs,..then use it and have fun.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No tools. I got it to where it was not marking the bullets and bacKed off one turn on the seater. I know.....very low tech but has always worked for me before.

This is not a competition gun but has proved to be very accurate using Sierra 55gr HPBT. <1.75" at 300 yards.

EDITED TO ADD: Thanks for the reply. Really, I knew the answer, just wanted some confirmation from someone with more experience.
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Just to add a little info, the tip variance on the "tipped" bullets from Hornady and Nosler tends to be quite small, in my experience.

I agree with JustC on the Comparator.

I will also add that most of my loads are longer than the published Max. OAL.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    If you are loading from the magazine, do the rounds still fit[?] if they do you are OK. If they are too long you will have to load single shot or seat shorter. I tried to seat close to the lands for my PSS-LTR, but had to seat shorter so the rounds would fit the mag [:(]
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the sinclair bullet seating depth tool and comparator are a wonderful addition to the bench. I use them for every rifle I load for. Money well spent.
  • bugmantraapbugmantraap Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have access to a Hornady loading book, it will give you the oal for the v-max at 2.350. The rifle you are loading for will make a difference when you are checking it your way. (Off the lands). I load the same bullet for my Savage model 12 Varmit at an OAL of 2.355 while 63 gr sierras mike out at 2.330. With the same load the impact is exactly the same hole for hole.I would also suggest the tools recomended above. That said, If they go where you want em everytime you want em whats the diff? Be happy and fire away. It's supposed to be fun, not a exercise in math. Trapper
    edited November -1
    dcs shooters: Yes, I'm loading from the mag and they fit fine. That's one reason I wasn't too worried.

bugmantraap: I have not shot this load yet but the Sierra 55gr HPBT certainly do! See my second post. You mean...math is NOT fun?[:0][;)]

Just C: I will look into the comparator. It has got to be easier and more definite. I understand what you're saying about the ogive.

HandgunHTR52: The VMAX is .1" longer than the Sierra bullet I have been loading for this rifle. That could very well explain the rather large difference in OAL between the two loads.

Thanks for your input!
  • Jim the PA HunterJim the PA Hunter Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before the comparator came about I used to make "dummy" rounds for each caliber/bullet by taking an empty, sized case and seating the bullet slightly into the case mouth. Then I would "paint" the bullet with a black magic marker. I chambered the dummy round and noted the mark left by the lands on the painted bullet. I would simply seat the bullet a turn of the seater stem deeper, repaint the bullet and chamber the dummy round again. I would repeat the process until I could not see any marks on the painted bullet. I then made one last turn of the dies seater stem and re-seat the dummy round. I made several of these of each brand/style/weight bullet for each caliber I loaded for. All this effort was tossed out the window if the magazine was too short but generally I really never ran into this unless I was loading for a rifle that used a clip magazine or a short action.[:(] Later, if I decided to load a bullet I had not loaded in a while but had a dummy round made up for it I would simply back out the seater stem of the die and run the dummy round into it. Then tighten the seater stem down onto the dummy round while holding the press ram up. Poor man's way to keep track of O.A.L.'s but it worked.

The bullet comparator method of today outshines the old way and dummy rounds are not necessary.[?] Are they?[:D] I use a OAL gauge modified case and bullet comparator to find the proper seating depth. I then make up a "dummy" round as I used to, just for setting up the seater die.[8D]
  • bugmantraapbugmantraap Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 35grs of IMR 4064 with the 55gr vmax for a one hole group off the bench.Sav.mdl 12 bull barrel accu-trigger.
    edited November -1
    This is in a bone-stock Savage 110 (no idea how old but DEFINITELY not new) with a medium sporter barrel. No pics of targets, but I get consistant groups of .4" at 100, <1" at 200 and @1.75" at 300. The scope is a (can't find a name brand) 10x44. I am very happy with it....but....well....y'know....I just can't help playing a little bit. I am using 39.0gr of W760 and Fed210 primers in Remington, Winchester and Prvi Partizan (sp) brass. No noticeable difference in groups by type of brass.

Not bad for $260 OTD at the local shop.

I'll try to get out this weekend to shoot the new loads and post comparative pics with the "old" load.

Thanks again for all your help.