In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

LONG RANGE SHOOTING

CECIL1957CECIL1957 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
IAM CURIOUS ABOUT DOING SOME LONG RANGE SHOOTING 400-600 YDS WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD CALIBER TO USE IAM NOT A RELOADER I WAS THINKING 22 250 OR A 6MM GIVE ME SOME IDEAS

Comments

• CECIL1957CECIL1957 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So currently I am shooting a 7mm-08 at 100yds with great groupings. I am loading a 168grain hpbt matchking with 760 powder at 40grains and getting 1/2 to 3/4 groupings. My question is I want to push this gun out to 400 yds. Is there a better load or combination of components to get groupings out this far?? Such as a different weight of bullet or type or different powders that work to longer ranges?? With reasonable success or should I just stick with what I am currently using??
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd opt for something a lil more potent while learning the in's and out's of LR shooting. Maybe something in the 260, 7mm-08, 308, 30-06 range to drive some higher BC bullets to buck the wind better along the way.

Obviously a heavy barrel makes for better accuracy over distance as well.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CECIL1957,

Welcome to the GB forums!

We could use a little more informations as to what type of 'long range shooting' that you would like to pursue. Is this for varmints, targets, both, big game...

In the mean time, it wouldn't hurt to look at a couple of lists of target ammunition that's available commercially.

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballistics/Ammo_Search.aspx?act=choose&firearm=1&s1=1

http://www.black-hills.com/rfactorynew.htm

Best.
  • b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a 7-300 built on browning large bolt receiver 300 weatherby magnum cartridge.
    SWEET :)
    400-1000 yards NO Problem
  • CECIL1957CECIL1957 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IAM REALY LOOKING FOR SOMETHING FOR VARMITS I HAVE A 300 WIN MAG I WOULD LIKE SOMETHING LIGHTER AND CHEAPER TO SHOOT IAM THINKING REM MODEL 700 VARMIT HEAVY BARRELL. IAM NOT NEW TO LONG DISTANCE I SHOT 500YDS WITH MY 300 MILK JUGS ETC 6MM OR 22 250 WHAT DO YOU THINK
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    do you handload?? if so,..you will need the heavy high BC pills for accuracy work, which will also require a different twist rate than the factory tubes will offer, so a rebarrel will be in order as well. Some may say that the fcatory tubes can push the bullets they are capable of stabilizing, quite well to 500yds,..but in the interest of accuracy and wind deflection, I would be running heavy pills in fast twists. IME, that is what works best for me.

that said,...a 6mm will carry better than a 22-250.
  • tatercatstatercats Member Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CECIL1957,

I would lean towards a 6mm or .25 cal. for those ranges rather than a .22 cal.

I really enjoy shooting and reloading for my 25WSSM. I get published 25-06 velocities with it. You could push the 25-06 harder and get a little more velocity. It would be a great varmint round as well as a medium game round. The .257 Roberts and 250-3000 Savage are great if you reload and want to shoot 75's and 80 gr. bullets. Same with the 25-06 except you can push the heaviest bullets above 3000 fps with it. Of course if you do reload there is the venerable .257 Ackley improved (or 250, Ackley's self proclaimed best work).

I have recently rediscovered the joy of shooting the .243. My new custom rifle has a long barrel. With it, I have a load that pushes 80 gr. bullets out at 3450 fps. You can gain 100 fps on that with a 6mm and a shade more with a .240 WBY. If you do a lot of shooting the WBY would be a must reload round. It is not cheap. Reloading makes this whole endeavor so much more rewarding. Less cost and better rounds.

If you are deciding between a 6mm and 22-250 I would go with the 6mm. Although as mentioned there are a bunch of good rounds out there.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    It's possible to load the .300WM to resemble any lesser caliber down to almost a 30-30, but you have to do it yourself.
    Chances are, if you just rebarrel your .300 and start reloading; you'll satisfy that itch WAAAAAY out there without ruining your shoulder.
  • KimbercoltKimbercolt Member Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont do much long range, but 46270 did alot.
    He was on the rifle match team, the military
    supplied him with a M1A, and all the Ammo he
    wanted to shoot.
    at this time he shoots a 300 wsm for long range.
    he finally got his M1A. He sure is proud of it.
  • fairlanegt390fairlanegt390 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    some of the best long range shooters have used the 308 for many years, the military snipers and the police snipers have used this cartage for many years. also if you have a 300 mag and reload, the same bullets that you use for one can serve for the other. a varmit 300 choice may be a good heavy 308 round. the brass is cheep and so are the bullets, it is very conservitive on powder and if not a reloader i just bought 100 rds of match 165gr from cabellas for $65. and got an amo can for $5. and they shipped it to my front door.
  • konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont forget to look at the 6.5mm chambers. such as the 264 Win Mag.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    .204 Ruger is a fun caliber with a light pill.