In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

researched....

ok, i've researched and researched, read and read some more. i've priced and shopped and scanned and screened and watched as my eyes glazed over. the only thing i can't find information on is a good powder. inexpensive, good quality, good for both pistol and rifle, and has a lemony fresh scent.

what are your powder recommendations for a beginner?

Comments

• sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aramisvi,

The best powders are the ones recommended by the bullet makers that post things on loads they publish as 'most accurate' and 'best density' try those powders first and see how they work.

If you like lemony fresh scent....just dust your workbench with pledge before you start reloading.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Here's what I answered in General Discussion. It is only a nutshell, but I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to elucidate further.

"Pistol powder is, for the most part, designed to burn very quickly.
    This makes it reach dangerously high pressure levels in a rifle.

You will find a lot of powders that work for shotguns and pistols, but rarely will you find a powder that will work for rifle and pistol.

Ya need two different powders, man."
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    colonel already said, you need two powders there is no way around it.
    he is so right.
    for a beginner, i would recomend a spherical powder.

Inexspensive, There is no such thing, even pulled pwdrs are going 90 bucks per 8lbs.

As for the lemon scent, hang a lemon scented pine tree up over the reload bench. [^]
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well, I would disagree a bit- you CAN make a safe rifle load using pistol powders. 11 gr of Red Dot, 18 gr of 2400, 20 gr of SR 4759, etc. But they are for specific applications and while safe, not conductive to greatest accuracy for most shooting.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Well, I would disagree a bit- you CAN make a safe rifle load using pistol powders. 11 gr of Red Dot, 18 gr of 2400, 20 gr of SR 4759, etc. But they are for specific applications and while safe, not conductive to greatest accuracy for most shooting.

Well, now ya done gone and sparked my curiosity...
    Are these published loads, or your own experimentation?

I'm not slagging experimentation as such. I'm just curious.
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Which question, issue to tackle first.

Powder for rifle and pistol? If the rifle is a .308, 30-30 or .22 Hornet and the Pistol is .XX Mag. of a sort then IMR 4227 or H 2400 and even other powders and cartridges can be accomodated.

If you want to use pistol powders in a rifle then cast bullet loading data is a good place to look.

If you want to use rifle powder in a pistol then you need to look to high performance pistol cartridges.

If you want the highest performance from your firearms then you will have more powders than guns. If you shoot much or shoot cartridges that use a lot of powder then buying powder will be a regular thing. I bet I burn a half pound of powder a weekend.

Tim
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    quote:Originally posted by jonk

Well, now ya done gone and sparked my curiosity...
    Are these published loads, or your own experimentation?

I'm not slagging experimentation as such. I'm just curious.

LYMAN CAST BULLET HANDBOOK 47th Edition
    Literally thousands of lead bullet loads driven up to 2750 FPS in rifles and pistols.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aramisvi
    ok, i've researched and researched, read and read some more. i've priced and shopped and scanned and screened and watched as my eyes glazed over. the only thing i can't find information on is a good powder. inexpensive, good quality, good for both pistol and rifle, and has a lemony fresh scent.

what are your powder recommendations for a beginner?

UNIQUE

IMR 4895

Most versitile powders for pistol and rifle. from 25 auto to 458 Winchester Mag.
  • 788-308788-308 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman 45th edition reloading manual.
    Pages 177, 292, and 296.
  • aramisviaramisvi Member Posts: 4,589
    edited November -1
    bpost,

unique seems to be one that keeps coming up as a good recommendation. that will be one i definitely read up on. 7.62x54 mosin and 9x18 mak are my loads. it sounds good for the mak round and i have read up on reloading it. lee makes a good set of dies i hear. as for the mosin, that's where i run into problems.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ajax... great powder inexpensive,good for rifle and pistol, and has a lemony fresh scent.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aramisvi
    bpost,

unique seems to be one that keeps coming up as a good recommendation. that will be one i definitely read up on. 7.62x54 mosin and 9x18 mak are my loads. it sounds good for the mak round and i have read up on reloading it. lee makes a good set of dies i hear. as for the mosin, that's where i run into problems.

To use pistol powder in a rifle case you are going to have to buy or make cast bullets for your 7.62X54 Mosin, it is too fast for jacketed bullets. It is MUCH WISER to use pistol powder in pistols and rifle powders in a rifle. Unique is a very versitle powder for pistols and IMR 4895 is a broad spectrum medium burn rate powder for rifles.

Lee dies will work as fine as frogs hair for your intended purposes.
  • aramisviaramisvi Member Posts: 4,589
    edited November -1
    thanks bruce.

lee seems to be the best on die prices too.
    as for casting...uh..no. if i get into casting, i'm gonna want to do silver and either hunt werewolves or don a white hat and black mask riding a white horse....