In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

casting my own bullets

Im thinking of trying to learn to cast my own pistol bullets. I have a good access to lead and was wondering what if anything do you add to the lead to make it harder. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on the quality of the lead you have access to, you might want to think about acquiring some flux to add to the mix to help remove impurities from your melted lead. It's available from MidwayUSA.

CC
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Get the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual. It will tell you all you need to know.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go to http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/ It is the site for casting. There is enough reading there to keep you very busy for weeks.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends on what you are shooting them in and how hard the lead is already. Pure lead?

One common source is scrap wheelweights. They are a bit messy but the alloy blend in them is just right as is for pistol or low to medium velocity rifle rounds.

Otherwise, yes, Tin or Antimony are what you want to harden up things and help the lead flow better.

One possible option if you decided that the lead available to you is too soft is to post on the aforementioned cast boolit forum about a swap- many guys will swap 2:1 wheelweight metal for pure lead, and wheelweight metal is good stuff.
  • CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with jonk. I've used wheel weights for awhile now for my 44 and 357 mag. It's plenty hard, and once you get the * out, holds up rather nicely. Again, I would employ the use of flux to help get the dirt out.

CC
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Wheel weights are good, as long as you get the real lead ones. Usually they are the ones for steel wheels, or truck wheels. The newer wheel weights are made out of zinc. They can still be used, and work fairly well if mixed with lead, but come out very light compared to the lead bullets.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If you use pure zinc, it isn't so much a problem- but a little zinc in solution can throw your mix off so that it doesn't fill out right. I can't say how much is too much but have seen it happen- and it is a valid concern.

If you drop a zinc weight on the ground it tings. A lead one goes thunk.

Easy enough to segregate.