In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lee Bullet Sizer

RochelleRochelle Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
I have been looking at Lee's Bullet Sizing system with the liquid lube. any experience with this system?

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's great. Simple, hassle-free and inexpensive. The Liquid Alox works well right up through rifle speeds no matter how little you use, almost.

Most folks dilute the LLA about 50/50 with mineral spirits to dry a bit faster. I use it straight or diluted, and either way works. Swirl the bullets in a little bit of lube and dry overnight on waxed paper. Size them as directed, and then swirl them in lube and dry again. You can load them as is or dust them with a pinch of mica or talc to help with the stickiness, if you choose.

You want a clear golden sheen of lube, not globs or dark brown coating. You can lube bare bullets or re-lube commercial or swaged bullets, too.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • RochelleRochelle Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee doesn't give much information on their web site except this lub is the best thing since peanut butter. You mentioned putting talic on the bullets because they are sticky. How long before they completely dry?
    edited November -1
    I've let some sit for weeks and they still felt just a tiny bit tacky. It's absolutely not a problem even if you load them immediately, except you do have to clean your seater plug once in a while.

I routinely use a dusting of Motor Mica to make them easier to handle (they don't stick together afterwards) and because mica adds a bit of lubricity, maybe.

If you let them dry outdoors for a day or so, both the smell and the tackiness are 99% gone. Faster if you dilute it as mentioned.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From my perspective I do not like it at all.

Being old fashioned I like to inspect each bullet sized and place them base first into neat layers in cigar boxes. The bullet lube should be in the lube grooves of the bullet and NEVER on the base and nose.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    It leaves a lot to be desired for appearence, the Lee liquid alox. I've found it works just fine though.

The push through sizers themselves are great- you get greater concentricity and don't need a top punch, compared to nose punch style sizers. Pan lubing and using a push through sizer would give the best of both worlds.
    edited November -1
    Not to argue but only to observe that most of the lube in the groove never touches the bore. Pick up fired bullets and much of the lube is still right there. Lube ON the bearing surfaces does ride between lead and steel - and that's why LLA works so well. Consider this: traditional lubing leaves lead riding on steel and HOPES that some lube squeezes out of the groove, somehow.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    except you do have to clean your seater plug once in a while.

I have only run a couple hundred though one of mine but I used a shot of Hornady One Shot on the bullets prior to sizing and my dies stayed nice and clean. Bullets sized nice an smooth too.