In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What's the scoop on the Ruger 77?

onehorseonehorse Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
First, another thanks to all the guys who answered my question regarding the Savage with Accutrigger. You ALL had great opinions and information. As there is still a long time before next hunting season, I'm taking my time in choosing a new rifle. So, if I can have your time once more, what is your experience with the Ruger 77 MarkII All Weather? Especially accuracy. It seems like a good deal money wise, what with the rings included, and stainless/synthetic for the same price as their wood stock. What'd you think?

Comments

• jbjm04jbjm04 Member Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had pretty good results with the stainless Rugers. ince they have gone to the new style stock they are much easierto shoot. I had a 270 with the old thin stock that would shoot any load you threw at it into about 1 1/4 for five shots at 100 yards.

I have yet to find a better gun the money.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I would not buy a newer Ruger...their quality control has gone down hill drastically in recent history. Take a look at the Remington XCR (Extreme Conditions Rifle). I sold one of these to a customer and it shot .5 MOA at 200 yards with factory ammo...right out of the box. Good luck.
  • woodybr549woodybr549 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a M77 compact 243 for my son and a 270 M77 for myself. I am a Ruger fan so I may be somewhat bias. Both shoot as well as any bolt action gun(out of the box) that I have shot. Saying this, I have never owned a higher end gun than these, so I cant compare them to more expensive guns. I have shot a few guns that were accurized that out shot them. My opinion, for the price I dont know that you could do any better than an M77.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 6yr old ruger 77 MK II has been superbly accurate. I can't beleive it shoots this well,..that is why I still own it. It is a 22" 30-06 stainless.
  • MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the "quality issue" on the newer 77's...in particular the wood stocks just don't have the quality they had years ago. My only Ruger 77 is a .270 with the older flat bolt knob and tang safety...I purchased it new I think in 1970? I have hand-loaded it hot and it has done quite well.

I personally do not own any synthetic "Tupperware" rifles. I guess I am from the old school! But from the ones I have seen...I think the Browning Stainless Stalker is quite nice. It is balanced very well! My local dealer here has one in a .260 (older inventory) that I have been tempted to take off his hands...it is a sweet rifle!

The truth is...none of today's production rifles have good wood anymore!
  • young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    please do yourself a favor and look at the tikka line of rifles.....for the price they are the best rifles manufactured...my .02