In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any Good Loads for M1 Garand ?

deputydondeputydon Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
I am getting ready to load some rounds for my Garand and wondered if anyone has any loads that shoot and cycle well that they want share. Thanks, Don

Comments

• PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    My standard Garand load is a 150gr M2fmj bullet in a US military case with CCI large rifle primer and 48 gr IMR 4895. This is close to the origonal US military load. Be sure to use a medium burn rate powder such as 4895 or 3031. DO NOT use a slower powder such as 4350 or 4831 as it can damgage your operating rod.
  • kraschenbirnkraschenbirn Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For practice and informal competition, you can't go wrong with a "GI Ball" duplication load (see previous post) but for serious paper-punching or long-range steel targets, you might try the Speer 168 gr. BTHP match bullet on top of 46 gr (starting load) of IMR4895. With this combination my much-shot DCM Garand shoots, easily, into 2" @ 100 yds (off sandbags) using the original iron sights.
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load for 3 M1 Garand's, one of which is for my life long buddy who grew up next door to us. My standard load for the 3 is a Winchester 147 grain fmj bullet, 47.5 grains IMR4895 powder or 4895 military surplus powder, government cases (mostly LC), and a Federal 210 primer. I adjusted my seater die using a LC69 loaded cmp purchased round. It works great for us and shoots better than the CMP ammo that we originally bought for these rifles. My experience anyway.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    deputydon,

You don't state whether you've loaded for the Garand before so here are some basic suggestions:

Use a hard primer such as the CCI #34 to prevent slam-fires.

Stick with powders that have a burn rate and pressure curve similar to IMR-4895.

The normal recommendation is that you do not exceed the 173 gr. bullet weight. There are exceptions but usually only for more advanced reloaders. There are plenty of great bullets to use without exceeding that recommendation.

You have to full length resize and trim your cases.

This a pretty good synopsis of loading the Garand for better performance complete with loads.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/reloads/0507/

I have some military loads but I have to go through some files and it will take some time.

Best.
  • deputydondeputydon Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never loaded for an M1. I just purchased my first one this fall. I got a couple of boxes of factory loads with 180gr bullets. Wasn't really happy with the factory stuff so I picked up a set of dies and some additional brass & 180gr bullets at a gun show. The brass is R-P and I was later told not to use it because the bolt could collapse it.
    My new Hornady manual has an M1 section that doesn't show the 180 grainers, but does reccomend a 168gr boattail. What I really need is some sound advice from folks with hands on experience. I appreciate the help so far and will scrap 180gr bullet idea and use something lighter.
    Please keep the help coming! Thanks -Don
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by deputydon
    I have never loaded for an M1. I just purchased my first one this fall. I got a couple of boxes of factory loads with 180gr bullets. Wasn't really happy with the factory stuff so I picked up a set of dies and some additional brass & 180gr bullets at a gun show. The brass is R-P and I was later told not to use it because the bolt could collapse it.
    My new Hornady manual has an M1 section that doesn't show the 180 grainers, but does reccomend a 168gr boattail. What I really need is some sound advice from folks with hands on experience. I appreciate the help so far and will scrap 180gr bullet idea and use something lighter.
    Please keep the help coming! Thanks -Don

I loaded thousands of rounds for the M1 using 46 grains of IMR4859 and a 168 grain Sierra Match King bullet. It shot very well in the DCM Garands at our club.

A lot of guys loaded them hotter but I never saw the need for more speed.

I used Winchester primers and LC67 brass for most of my shooting.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have use commercial brass such as Remington without problems over the years in my M1s. I would suggest taking a look a Widener's for new military brass that the bullets have been pulled from. If you look at their website for specials, you will see 500 pieces of 1969 Lake City deprimed for $42. I have bought it with good success. I am sure there are other sources. This is a good way to get unfired US military brass. As with all US miltary 30-06, you will have to swage or cut the crimp out of the primer pocket. I have bought surplus 4895 powder and pullet M2 150 gr bullets from them. I think about all of the surplus 4895 powder has dried up. All this came from the US government not allowing US military 30-06 ammo to be imported back in the the USA. They break it down, and bring the powder, bullets, and brass into the country.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    deputydon,

What I really need is some sound advice from folks with hands on experience."

You have gotten nothing but good advice from all of us that have "hands on experience". If you're looking for absolute loads, they won't help much because your rifle will respond differently to our loads. The basic information and starting loads is what we use to start testing our rifles to see what they like to shoot. Your Hornady manual is a great starting place for reloading the M1 as well as any other rifle.

http://www.gibrass.com/brass.html

.30-06

Military pulldown, new and unfired, deprimed, LC69
    headstamp, crimped primer pocket ($10/M to process).
    Some minor dents and dings.
    Ttl Qty: 100 1M 5M 10M
    $ Cost: 12 100/M 95/M 93/M

Here's another good source of components:

http://www.hi-techammo.com/

Best.
  • deputydondeputydon Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really appreciate all the help. Going to pickup some 168gr boattails and start building loads with 4895 and RP brass I have on hand. We'll see how they work out. Really enjoy shooting the M1. Thanks again guys! -Don
  • deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    deputy,i've had good luck with 50 grains of WW748 behind 150 grain bullets in semi-auto rifles,good luck with your loading
  • remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    When I started out, MANY years ago, loading for the Garand I used a small base FL die. I was told that this was needed to make sure the round chambered properly. I just load with a Hornady FL die and use 46 grains of 4895 on a Sieara 168 grain bullet. I like the Winchester primers.

Anyone need small based dies?