In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

RCBS 357 Sig Die

tombiasitombiasi Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
I just received a 357 Sig die for my RCBS 2000. I set it up precisely as instructed. Here is my problem. Sometimes the decapping pin gets stuck in the flash hole and pulls loose. Also, the flair is not enough. The flair tool measures .353, how can this allow for a .355 bullet?
What am I missing?

I will call RCBS when I get a chance tomorrow but thought that someone here may know.

Comments

• 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Hi. I shoot the 357 Sig too. I use RCBS dies. I am using a Rockchucker press. What kind of brass are you using? I have never pulled the decapping pin out by sticking it in the primer hole. Check to make sure you have the depriming pin tight. As for the .353 diameter that is perfect for a .355 bullet, you just don't have it screwed down far enough to the bell portion. Take the die apart and comtinue to mike the rod, it will get bigger...the bell. Screw it deeper until you get enough flair for the base to just start to go in. Have fun reloading the 357 Sig it is a great cartridge.

Warren
  • tombiasitombiasi Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks,
    The bell measures .353 at the widest. I can have it go all the way in the case and come out again and the neck is still not wide enough for a .355 bullet.
    As for the brass, I have some that I picked up at the range. It doesn't do it with Speer brass. I will be more picky with brass in the future. Not too many people shoot that round so I assumed it was all my brass.
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tombiasi-

You may have a problem with the die but I think you are not adjusting the expander part of the die down far enough. The tapered part of the expander should go all the way into the case before it starts to bell it. This is made that way to support the case during the belling operation. If you continue to screw the insert down further, it will start to bell the case more. I think that is what 5mm was trying to explain to you. If the insert bottoms out in the die without belling, then you may actually have a problem with the die but it is not very likely. Hope this helps.
    edited November -1
    Thanks,
    I am letting the bell insert go all the way into the case.
    It measures .353 at the widest point, I can't see how it can make a .355 bullet fit in.
    edited November -1
    I've got to run out of here in a few minutes but maybe I can take a photo of what I mean a little later or tomorrow. I think I have a set of 357 sig dies but I'm not sure what brand.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    If you are inserting the bell in and it is hitting the bottom of the case and not belling it larger than .353 the bell has a problem. Call RCBS ask for a new bell, the one you have is defective.

Warren
    edited November -1
    Here is a photo of the belling insert from my die. My die is a Redding but the first part below the pen measures only .354 inch. Until the case hits the point above where the pen is pointing at, it does not even start to bell the case.MVC-001F.jpg
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The area that your mecanical pencil is pointing to is the part of the stem that bells the very end of the case. to allow you to start the bullet. On pistol cases for semi autos the decapping die punches out the primer and reduces the out side of the case then the second die"THE ONE SHOWN IN YOUR PICTURE" needs to have the very first part of the stem the have a slight rounded nose to allow it to start into the case then an area "from the point of your pencil" toward the end in your case .353 this will allow the case to grip the bullet when you seat it but will not allow the bullet to start into the case "unless it has a bevel base. next the part above your point is a alightly larger section that if the die is adjusted correctly will open the mouth of the shell to say .370 this will allow you to start the base of the bullet into the case and then die number 3 will seat the bullet to correct OAL and if the seater die is adjusted correctly take the Bell you put in the case back to the correct outside diameter. You adjust die #2 and die #3 to open and close the mouth of the case but be aware the less you open and close "work the brass" the longer the case will last before the case mouth splits.
    edited November -1
    PerryShooter-It is not me that is having the problem. I took the photo to explain what part of the belling assembly actually bells the case because I think Tombiasi might not be adjusting the belling assembly down far enough and I thought the photo might help him understand.
    edited November -1
    FYI
    I contacted RCBS. They said the bell tool should be .354 and the mouth should be chamfered with a deburring tool.
    I admitted to them that my measurement may not be that preise.
    In typical RCBS style they took my name and address to send me a new tool. Maybe I got a piece on the low end of tolerance, I don't know.
    I will try the new one when I get it.
    Thanks to all for trying to help me.
    edited November -1
    Did you get squared away?
    edited November -1
    Sorry I didn't get back sooner.
    Yes, RCBS sent me a new bell and it seems to work fine.
    edited November -1
    That's good to hear that RCBS is still tops in customer service.

I know Dillon is the same way.

I was recently a little disappointed with Lyman, though. I had 2 bullet moulds and a scale that I sent in for repair. Lyman had always fixed things in the past for free but this time, they told me one of the moulds was outdated and they no longer had sprue plates for it, the other was missing the base plug on a hollow based slug mould and they charged me $30 for a new plug. The scale had a little piece of metal that was outside the marker on the balance area that was broken. It really didn't do anything but looked wierd being broken so I told them to repair it but that was another $20. I guess it was reasonable but I would have been further ahead with RCBS since I know they would have fixed it for free.

RCBS is top notch. They will see even more of my business from now on.