In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

30-30 load data for bolt guns

Where can I find loading data for the 30-30 with pointed bullets. I have a savage 340 that I love to shot but I want to try some 125-150 grain spitzers in it.

thanks

Moved to Competition Shooting and Reloading forum.

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IIRC Nosler (and maybe others) has data for the 30-30 in pistol barrels (IE TC Contender). Lacking that, start with same bullet weight data and work up from the starting loads.
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is sometimes a desire to kick up a 30/30 load because it is in a stronger action but be advised it is still a weak case one of the very first smokeless cases designed so work up that load from a safe one and watch for signs.
    My .02

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wulfmann, why do you think the 30-30 case is weak? The ones I have sectioned seem to be as robust as any other modern case.

Tim
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speer reloading manual Page 256:

"We are occasionally asked if the 30-30 can be loaded to higher velocities in a modern bolt action like the Remington 788.
    The answer is NO!
    The 30-30 case is an old design with relatively thin walls. Attempting to load "hotter" would risk dangerous case failure."

I have never tried to find out how far one can push that envelope as this seems like pretty definitive advice.
    Mind you, I am known for searching new loads where others dare not go but this is one I have taken to be good advice.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wulfmann, thanks for the reference

Tim
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the Speer manual- for 30-30.
    "Many who reload 30-30 have wondered why higher velocity loads cannot be used in modern strong bolt actions. The 30-30 case is relatively thin and not particularly strong. Higher pressures could lead to case head failure which can wreck even a very strong rifle." AND- "However, spitzer bullets over 150 grains are not reccomended. Pointed types are designed for velocities higher than the 30-30 can deliver. Thus they may not give acceptable expansion on game because of the stronger jacket." The above may explain the shortage of load data. Sorry-
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the spitzer. The Nosler BT in both 125 & 150gr have a velocity threshold for expansion that's on the lowside of 1700fps.