In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.270 Win. Deer loads

I would like to develop some .270 Win. loads for this coming whitetail season. I'm hoping to kill a deer from less than 100 yds. away with my Winchester mod. 70. The last buck I shot was approx. 80 yds. away (from my stand), and the bullet went right through him and stuck in a bloody tree! I shot a (commercial load)170 gr. Winchester (partition?) that prob. did not expand fast enough, was too fast, or both (however, the buck only ran about 40 yds. and dropped). Does anyone have any tough .270 Win. "pet" loads for close range whitetail hunting--with greater expansion? [?] What bullets are best (boat tail?)? [?] I figure, if I'm gonna load them up myself I might as well load for the area I'm hunting.
Only 156 days 'till opening day! Thanks again!

Comments

• SkeedaddySkeedaddy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did I say 170 gr. bullet? I musta been thinkin' of my 30-30. I used a 150 gr. Winchester .270 partition bullet!
  • Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two holes and expansion...just use the time tested Cor-Lok or Power Point from remington or winchester....remeber, no matter what the gun magaizines say, it's just a deer
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    130gr NBT with 58gr H4831sc and a cci lr primer.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:What bullets are best (boat tail?)?

At the given distance a boat-tail bullet will have very little effect over a flatbase bullet. The boat-tail was designed to help accuracy and long range shooting. With that being said, there is nothing wrong with using a boat-tail at close distances as well. One of my favorite loads for the .270 is 54gr. of W760 behind a Speer BT with a CCI Magnum Primer. Keep in mind that this load is listed as the max, so start at least a grain below this.

Jon
  • awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best bullet?? They will all kill a deer at 100 yards.
    Just find the bullet/powder/primer combination that
    your .270 likes best (group size) and practice, practice, practice.
    Putting the shot in the right place is the key.
    Good huntin'.
  • laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    agree with above, any decent 130-150 grainer will kill a deer just as dead. but then again, i myself do like to maximize the confidence factor by using a higher quality bullet.
    i have 2 270s, a beretta mato and a dakota 76, and after 10 years with the dakota and a couple years with the mato, have settled on hornady 130 SSTs for big midwestern deer, over RL19 powder, can't recall # grains and am traveling. clobbers 'em, long (300+ yds) or short (15 yds) range!