In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Powder Charger

uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
I am tired of double checking my powder charges for each round with a mechanical scale. Anyone have advise on a powder charger that mounts to a table edge? Is the Hornady lock-and-load powder measure bench rest good for $155? anyone work with that one? What other good ones are out there?

Or is a electric dispenser a lot more accurate? (money isn't an issue). If so, which one?

I love accuracy so I NEEEEED it to throw consistent loads. I am aware that if I do not check them twice (like I am now) I will not be as accurate, but for my hunting rifles, the deer wont know the difference.

Thanks!

(right now I use a mechanical scale by LEE and LEE powder measures that are scoops, check the charge twice before I load into case).

-JD

Comments

• uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here we go again.

I need to figure out a better way to charge my rounds, I'M literally measuring each round via scale and powder scoops. I have been looking at the uniflow by rcbs. Is it accurate? My father has one and checks the load every 10 rounds. Is that good enough? or should it be done every round with a trickler? I want to get a power measuring one, but right now that is way out of my price range. I do want accuracy, they aren't just going to be plinking rounds. i am going to go hunting for deer and varment and now 600 yard shooting so another question is that will the uniflow (measuring every 10 rounds) will give me that accuracy? I just got a new job and I have the funds for about 100 bucks. What do you guys think? Thanks!

-Joe
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An RCBS Uni-Flow, a Hornady measure, a Lyman measure or a Lee measure will all be accurate enough for anything but serious competitive shooting. You can find any one of them new or used for under $100.

Just did a brief search (powder measure reloading) and found a bunch on Gunbroker.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • bentley47bentley47 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used the RCBC Uniflow for over 25 years and they are very consistent. Others are probably as good or better. I use mostly ball powders, since they flow thru like water. Some other brands may handle "stick" powders better, I don't know.
    I don't shoot competition, but the consistency is good enough for prairie dog accuracy and 1/2" groups at 100 yds with .22 centerfires.
    I keep the small cylinder in since everything I load is within it's range.
    Cycle about 10 times, to settle the powder, before adjusting to the load. Then use a consistent motion, tap once on up, once on down stroke.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For RIFLE, using charge weights over 20 grains, you simply can't see the difference in the MINOR variances in weight from a powder dispenser. When PROPERLY using a Uniflow or any other powder measure the differences will not show on paper.

If you develop a technique of tap-tap at the top of the throw and a tap-tap at the bottom of the throw you will stay within .01 grains with ball powder and .015 with stick powder.

There are MANY more variables that will impact accuracy than a 1/10 grain difference in powder charges.

A Hornaday, Lyman or RCBS powder measure will serve you for a life time of shooting.

EDIT; Please support the auction side of this site, it supplies the money to keep this free forum running. Buying from other sites, especially E-bay hurts you in the long run. All you need to do is hit the HOME tab and search for "powder measure".
    edited November -1
    awesome, thanks for the fast and knowledgeable reply!!! I'm going to do some research on them and then figure it out. I'll keep updates! I don't want to do anohter post so ill add it to this one. Can you boil gun parts to clean them (like ruger MKII, Security six, sks)? just a quick question. Will it hurt the parts that I boil? Thanks again!

-Joe
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've been using a Lyman 55 for about 40 years and never had it throw over .2 off yet. Less than that with ball powder.
  • 264fan264fan Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pretty hard to beat Redding for throwing consistent charges.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used both the RCBS Uniflow and the Hornady LNL with great success. Both with extruded and spherical powders. For years I loaded my varmint load with IMR3031 in a 257 Roberts and 75gr HP and had great success.

The key is consistent operation, I developed a tap-tap as well, similar to bpost. The tap at the bottom makes sure extruded doesn't clog loading the case. The Tap tap at the top makes sure the powder cavity in the housing fills. As long as you are consistent it will work great. I shoot 400 yards or less mostly and groups are consistent enough. You may want to start with a spherical powder if it gives you piece of mind, and it seems like most extruded are shorter than they used to be, not IMR3031 and H4831 though.

So, because I have used them. I would recommend RCBS or Hornady.
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys! I will probably make that purchase in the next week and let you know how it works. I use IMR 4895's and IMR 4350, will that work well in the rcbs/lyman/hornady? What about the hornady lock and load? I have been doing some research on that. Is it a nice unit? Thanks again!

-Joe
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I keep a Lee perfect powder measure and an RCBS uniflow on the bench.

The Lee (though it looks and feels cheap) dispenses stick powders more accurately and smoothly than the RCBS- which I find chops and binds with stick powders.

The RCBS does a treat with flake and ball powders that bind in the Lee.

So each has its niche.

Considering the Lee is so cheap, no harm done to have both.
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Agree with jonk.

My luck is better with the Lee though.
    edited November -1
    awesome. so far ill be using IMR which is stick powder. It's all i have for now. thanks for all your help guys! Like always, you guys are always more than helpful with everyone's .02

-Joe
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    uni82,

I haven't had hot charges from using stick powder because I tap the load down as I throw it. But, I will say the smaller the kernels with stick powder the more consistent you will get. I loaded IMR 4064 and IMR 3031 and both of them like to have big variations in throw weights. If you are off max it won't make that much difference. But, a half a grain at or over max, is a whole lot different than a half a grain when using a load two grains under max. Meaning, just throwing charges down on the pressure curve isn't a bad thing. At the top of the pressure curve, I consider it a no-no.

And remember when tapping, do it gently. That settles it. I know guys who bang it pretty hard. That ends up throwing what you may be trying to settle back up into the powder reservoir.
  • zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As previously stated, consistency in technique is more important than brand of powder measure for accurate loads. Mount the measure on a solid part of the bench. Don't use the first measure of powder dropped. Don't leave powder sitting in the measure for days. Return it to the original container after a loading session. Use a baffle. Vibrations from a shaky bench, a running motor or fan will change the consistency of charges. Always check charges on a good scale before starting. Be safe.
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be remiss if I did not mention the only powder measure that CANNOT cut or jam on a powder kernel - even log-sized ones like 4064 or 4831: the JD Quick Measure. http://www.quick-measure.com/
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.