In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sierra 140 HPBT for 270 Winchester?

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
Anybody have any experience with the Sierra 140 grain HPBT bullets in a 270 Winchester? I'm thinking about trying them out on the local mule deer population this fall and would appreciate any input.

Comments

• CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that shoots them in his 270, I shoot the Nosler 140gr AccoBond. We both use the old Jack O'Connor load of 59gr H4831SC and Winchester LRP primers. We've both had great results on black tail here in the Cascades, and white tail and muleys over on the east side. I would advise working up to that load in your rifle, to be on the safe side.
    W.D.
  • 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why a hollow point for hunting Deer ?

Just asking , so many other bullets , better suited .

I quit using Nosler Ballistic Tips because they tore up too much meat , would think that H.P's would do the same .

I'm shooting Speer 130 gr. Grand Slams , got a good deal on 500 of em on the auction side , fella by the name of " bulletguy "
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess that's why I'm asking. So many other bullets! I'm fairly new to reloading and the selection of bullets can be more confusing to me than a baby in a topless bar. One of the other ones I was considering was the Nosler Ballistic Tips. If I can ever draw another elk tag here in the Peoples Republik of Oregon I may use them on elk, too. quote:Originally posted by 375H&H
    Why a hollow point for hunting Deer ?

Just asking , so many other bullets , better suited .

I quit using Nosler Ballistic Tips because they tore up too much meat , would think that H.P's would do the same .

I'm shooting Speer 130 gr. Grand Slams , got a good deal on 500 of em on the auction side , fella by the name of " bulletguy "
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. What kind of performance is your buddy getting out of them? I read somewhere that they are a real accurate bullet at slower velocities but haven't seen mention of their terminal performance. I don't have any plans to cook up any high pressure O'Connor style loads. Just some reasonably accurate 2700-2800 fps rounds that'll tip over a muley and an elk (if I can ever draw another tag)!
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    I have a friend that shoots them in his 270, I shoot the Nosler 140gr AccoBond. We both use the old Jack O'Connor load of 59gr H4831SC and Winchester LRP primers. We've both had great results on black tail here in the Cascades, and white tail and muleys over on the east side. I would advise working up to that load in your rifle, to be on the safe side.
    W.D.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    load the balistic tips and be done with it[8] trust me, they harvest deer like lightning
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used all sorts of bullets in a 270.All did all right,but I settled on 130 grain Sierra ProHunter.It is the most accurate in my rifle,does a good job on whitetails and the are still reasonably priced.