In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

218 Brass

shooter45shooter45 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
218 Bee Brass is very hard to find these days and I'm needing to re-supply. Can someone give me some information on reforming 32-20 Brass to 218 Bee cases. Please include step by step procedures in attempting this task. I have never tryed this before but I have heard that it can be done successfully.
Thanks in advance,
Shooter45

Comments

• sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shooter45,

Before you start re-forming other 'hard to find' brass, give this guy a call:
    http://www.gunstop.com/supplies.asp?cat_id=1&mfr_id=6

It was in stock last time I was in his store a week ago.
  • shooter45shooter45 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, they did have some of the 218 Bee. I still would like to know the procedures for reforming brass.
    Thanks again.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best answer is to get a form die set (Group G at RCBS). The set will include two to four dies that reduce the neck and alter the shoulder in manageable steps, plus an extended shellholder. Sit down to order: they run $175 to $200 a set.

For this particular conversion, it would be better to start with 25-20 brass, which you might be able to form using only the two-die 218 set. Counter to intuition, the first step is to run the cases into the SEATER die. Seater dies are larger than sizers (to not crush the seated bullet) and can serve as an intermediate size die. Then size. You may still lose some to crumpled shoulders or wrinkled necks.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Forming 218 Bee's from 32/20 Winchester cases is simple..
    Run the 32/20 cases into a 218 Bee die and trim to length if it's needed..Thats all there is to do.....
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Based on my experience with re-forming cases, I rather doubt that. Going from .32 to .22 in one pass is going to result in just about 100% loss due to crumpling. At least, that's my bet.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Just going by my Cartridge Conversion book is all...