In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1 Carbine

Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
I got a new set of Redding Dies out tonight and watnted to start reloading my first M1 Carbine rounds and after hearing about trimming the casees I sized a few. Out of the number I did I got one to measure 2.90 and the rest were 2.85 so is there a trade off here or should I pitch the brass that is not on the money. I stopped into the local gun store and was talking to one of the guys in there that reloads and he said he does not pay attention to the OAL. I have known this guy for years and he works in the reloading room so I did not know what to think so here I am asking whats up?

Emmett

Comments

• Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is there any way to loosen up the trigger pull on the carbine? my Wenchester is like trying to pull a 50 pound weight.[:(]
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cut and pasted

I do a lot of loading for the 30 carbine. The trim to length is 1.280. The max length is 1.290. trimming this case is a PITA, no easy way. I size all my case, then measure and separate into trim and load piles. I trim everything from 1.287 and over to 1.281ish. Most of my cases are coming once fired from Aquilla ammo. The cases are usually well over 1.290 after the first firing.

Here's some info from "shooting the Carbine with accuracy"

MOST IMPORTANT: The .30 Caliber Carbine case has a maximum length of 1.290". The fired and reloaded cases should be trimmed to minimum every reloading. Reloading die makers usually specify a longish "trim to" length on the order of 1.285". The minimum length for Carbine cases is 1.280" and has been observed to be more satisfactory. This 1.280" is the normal factory length of new ammunition. This length of 1.280" helps prevent failure to lock with the bolt forward but not rotated and subsequent out of battery firing. Too long of cases wedge the bolt forward, but do not allow easy rotation to full lock up. Too long of cases are the main cause of most problems. Carbine cases stretch at seeming random. Trim every reloading. Some cases will be unmarked by the trimmer cutter, others will be partially trimmed on one side, and others will be fully engaged with the trimmer cutter.
  • Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot the Carbine for years but never reloaded for it and I hang out at the CMP Carbine forum and some of those guys over there have a pi$$ing match over cash length and explosions.

Thanks! for the information

Emmett
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never been a fan of a rimless straight case. I remember helping a buddy figure out how to load for his brother's Blackhawk. This was before the days of taper crimp dies.

I tend to shoot my brass in batches, several 100 to a 1000, once I find the sweet spot for the gun. My Forster trimmer is well used. I finally took a diamond stone and carefully dressed the cutting edges. Made a big differance in the effort required to operate it. I chuck my champher tool in the Unimat, saves wrist action.

It's funny that friends I loaded had for, now that they are doing their own with presses I bought them, no longer loose, step on or otherwise miss treat cases. They understand the work involved to uniform cases. They all shoot better because they shoot more and the ammo is made just for their gun.

added it should have read straight tapered case
  • goodgunpartsgoodgunparts Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I have never been a fan of a rimless straight case. ....

I thought the 30 carbine is a tapered case.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goodgunparts
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I have never been a fan of a rimless straight case. ....

I thought the 30 carbine is a tapered case.

They are. That's why they need lube even with a carbide die.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the .30 Carbine headspaces on the case mouth, the guy who doesn't care about case length will sooner or later find out why it's important to check it once in a while.

Best case a malfunction. Worst case, a pressure spike that damages his gun or himself. [B)]
  • papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw this today. School in Israel .30 cal carbine. At least those babies have a chance.

ISRAELISCHOOL_zps060fbeb1.jpg