In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Treated Walnut media Residue

7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
Hi guys,

I am about to prime my first batch of brass and am not sure if it matters wether or not I leave treated walnut media residue inside the brass.(amonia free) Should I brush it out or leave it be and just prime them as they are?

Comments

• RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I rinse my brass in hot water. I then place them in the dryer on a shoe rack and dry on low.
  • 7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds good to me. I will clean them up real good before moving on.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7.62x39Lover
    (amonia free)

Don't buy into the old wives tale that ammonia does harm to brass. I personally left some 500 Mag brass sitting in a air tight closed rubber tumbler drum for several years then reloaded it and fired it and the brass is still as good as new. If ammonia was ever going to harm brass it would have been those cartridges that sit in it for years.

I use Brasso and car wax in corn cob media and it will cut your tumbling time down to a couple of hours. I never had any luck with walnut shells. It just won't do the job like corn cob media will.
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    Start using the Lsd method for cleaning brass and you will have no problems.
    Since I started using it, I no longer treat my media.
    now only takes a couple of hours to make my cases shine like jewelry.
  • distinguisheddistinguished Member Posts: 62
    edited November -1
    I got away from walnut because it left so much residue in the case.

It is very advisable also not to use any type of abrasive added to your media. Take a look at this, go down to case cleaning http://www.jarheadtop.com/articles_Handloading.htm
    He doesn't go into much detail as to protect the guilty parties but there is a case where Mark a WI highpower rifle shooter made himself a smoothbore in Very short order by using an abrasive polish to clean his brass, this was an Obermeyer barrel on a custom rifle $$$$.