In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Should I Sweat dents?

7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
Hi guys,

Many of my .223 cases have dents. Some on the shoulder. When if ever should I worry about dents in cases?

Comments

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Extreme lube dents may cause the case to crack at some point. I don't worry about dents in the body as long as it's not what you'd call a "gouge" or has a distinct "pinched" area. Either of these can be responsible for a split or crack as they don't flex like the rest of the case.
    In the distant past, I had a bad habit of over lubing which caused lube dents if the dies didn't have vents. I didn't really understand why this was happening and ended up loading a lot of 243 ammo with these dents. None ever caused a problem but it can happen.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AR's dent brass. I just prepped around 700 WCC NATO and I don't sweat the dents.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is a smooth dent without cut or crease, don't worry.
    When you apply 50,000 psi, it will iron right out.
    And get dented again as it ejects.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    If it is a smooth dent without cut or crease, don't worry.
    When you apply 50,000 psi, it will iron right out.
    And get dented again as it ejects.

+1
  • 7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys,

I will inspect my brass accordingly.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a long time I loaded for an H&K 91. What it does do empties on ejection is part way between dent and demolish. I had no problems resizing and loading them, some several times. AR dents don't come anywhere near that level, so do your normal inspection and cull as needed and enjoy the rest.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Extreme lube dents may cause the case to crack at some point. I don't worry about dents in the body as long as it's not what you'd call a "gouge" or has a distinct "pinched" area. Either of these can be responsible for a split or crack as they don't flex like the rest of the case.
    In the distant past, I had a bad habit of over lubing which caused lube dents if the dies didn't have vents. I didn't really understand why this was happening and ended up loading a lot of 243 ammo with these dents. None ever caused a problem but it can happen.

+1 Over lube will do it in any type of close tolerance die. That fluid will find any week spots as it has no place to go.