In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

32 S & W short

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone reload the 32 S & W short with black powder?

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not that one, but like any BP loading (cartridge or ML) you need to compress the powder charge.
    Figure out where in the case the lead bullets base will be, weigh the charge it takes to get to that point and add 10-15% to that for your powder charge.
  • 0oAKo47o00oAKo47o0 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.gadcustomcartridges.com/
    this guy might could make you some. he offered me a very reasonable price on .38S&W black powder, unfortunately I haven't purchased any yet.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For just a plinking round, the easy way is to just use a round lead ball or buckshot that is a tight fit in the case.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    No such animal; it's the .32 S&W plain and simple, vs. the .32 S&W long. Sorry, I had to. [;)]

Yes, I do. Despite tailgunner usually being right on, I have to disagree with him. Compressing black powder is a fine idea- if you have a compression die. Compressing with the bullet leads to bulged cases, a lot of bullet run out, and crushing of powder kernels. If you are planning on loading some, you should load right to the bullet seat depth with 3F, settled using a drop tube or by tapping a few times. Bullets should be soft lead, and use a beeswax based lube with no petroleum products (homemade: 50/50 crisco/bewswax) or SPG or similar. Wash your cases thoroughly so they don't corrode.

Some cowboy shooting outfits load this with black, it is out there, if you don't load yourself.

As for what navc said, this is true enough; a .314 round ball makes a fine plinking load, but you should be aware that things will foul up fast with no lube (you could use an over powder wad but there's not much room for that). Also even the light recoil this round generates will unseat the ball in the cylinder so it's often a one shot at a time affair.