In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

XTP bullets in 7.62x25 Tok. (.312)??

grayingghostgrayingghost Member Posts: 131 ✭✭
I have a nice Tokarev TT33 I'd like to brew up some loads to make it a viable self defense piece. I slugged the bore and it came out to .312 !!! I know Hornady makes the XTP in .30 and for the .32acp. Would I be good using the .312 XTP in either 85 or 100gr., those are availabe at a local shop. Odd thing is, the gun is reasonably accurate with old surplus ammo (those bullets mike at .306) and I've loaded some accurate stuff with the 100gr plinker (.308) bullet. The bore does slug out at .312, judy odd I think. I tried loading a 32acp (311) bullet from a factory Federal round, seated proper but no powder or primer. That combo hand fed and ejected with no problem. The .312 XTPs I can pick up tomorrow. The plinker bullet has impressive penetration, but doesn't expand at all in any medium I've tried.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a CZ-52. It liked the old 30 Mauser 90gr FMJ bullets I had for it. As kid dad scored a ruskey toke. It was an interesting handgun. Peter's 30 Mauser factory ammo was pretty hot. The FMJ bullets would tear into fragments.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    I've got a 1911 with a 7.62x25 barrel on it. the .312" xtp's work well. the data I got with the lee dies states you can get 1900 fps with the xtp's and aa #9.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the Hornady 90gr. XTP product #31000, they list it at .309. I have used them in a C-96 and a 1920 commercial Luger .30 cal. They function just fine, but you have to be careful in seating the bullet as they need a good friction fit. I used an expander ball that measured .307 and chamfered the case mouth. Don't have a pistol chambered for the Tok round, but expect it to be much like the C-96.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I would avoid the Lee data, which is the old data from AA which has been rescinded.

My Yugo Tokarev barrels, both commercial and military, all slug .301/.313. I believe the Soviets set the original standards for bore dimensions for MG's, SMG's, rifles, and pistols so that all of the pipes could be produced on the same tooling. The Mosins with like-new barrels that I have slugged all measured .300/.312 to .302/.313. All of the rifle bullets measured .311, and all of the pistol bullets have measured .307. I currently have a supply of military pistol bullets from the tear-downs of surplus, and some of the Hornady .309's, but I haven't loaded any yet (I did buy a Lee factory crimp die to eliminate any bullet set-back during feeding). I appreciate the info that the chamber dimensions may accomodate .311 or .312 bullets.

Personally, I would not attempt to match published factory velocities (PRVI takes their 7.62x25 ballistics from 9 1/2-inch - SMG length - barrels) and I think I'll be content to load at around .30 Mauser ballistics for most shooting. [:)]
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    Here is the data sheet I got with my Lee 7.62 tokrev die set, take it for what it's worth. I do think the top end load with AA#9 is a little 'over the top' but even so a load with 12.5 gns of AA#9 and the 85 gn bullet will make a gallon can of water look like a pregnant pup (and leave a lot of shrapnel in the bottom of the can). I did slug my barrels (1911 after market and a CZ 52) and came up with .308" and .311" repectively. the .312" xtps' mic out at .3115"
    tok_zps352dcefc.jpg