In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Federal 45 ACP brass, with small primers?

rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
Started priming some 45 brass today. Federal headstamp brass, has small primers. When and why, did this come about?

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When: I first posted on it in 2005, nine years ago. Surely I wasn't the first to notice.

Why: The Dinol priming compound used in lead free primers is "hotter" than lead styphnate. First generation Winclean used large primers loaded with Dinol, but have very large flash holes to vent the pressure into the case.
    They then went to small primers because less Dinol is needed and it is expensive. Those cases are headstamped NT for Non Toxic.

We are now seeing small primer .45 cases without NT headstamp, in Federal and CCI Blazer Brass (Both Alliant owned.) I think this is an economy measure. It lets them use small primer cases two ways and even styphnate small primers are probably minutely less expensive than large.