In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.30 Gibbs

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
does anybody have current loading data for this? I've got P.O. Ackley's data but that's from the 1960's, I'd like to use some of the 'newer' powders.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once had a 300 Gibbs. Second most accurate rifle I ever shot. I think I still some NM brass I fire formed for it. I'd bet you on your own for loading data.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in that AI's that I have worked with that are .473" boltface, and long action cases (280AI, 6.5-06AI), the clear winner was H4831sc and RL22 as a runner up. I am sure I could have gotten a great vihtavouri load, but finding the powder on a regular bases had gotten tough.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MIKE WISKEY,

Yes, I know I'm late to the party but SHOT Show preparations have been more intense this year.

Larger diameter hole (caliber) with heavier bullets is usually an indication for using faster powders. Now I'm not sure what 'newer' powders you are referring to but when I played with this a while back I was using VVN-550, Norma URP, Ramshot Hunter, both 4350's, and Re-17. a starting load in the 58.0 gr. range for any of these powders usually resulted in moderate pressure and velocities. Working up, watching for signs of pressure or using a chronograph to stop at approximately 2950 - 3000 FPS. Best accuracy was at the upper end but go slowly and carefully as with all load development since the improved cases will not show signs of pressure until you hit the top end or over and then it's too late.

Best.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    THANKS 'NON', THAT IS WHAT I PLANNED TO DO. I'M OUT IN NV. FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF MONTHS SO DVELOPEMENT WILL HAVE TO WAIT. I DO HAVE SOME V/V AND WANT TO TRY THE RL SERIES ALSO. WITH THE LIMITED MAGAZINE LENGHT OF THE '03 I'M LIMITED TO 150/165 GN BULLETS WITHOUT LOOSING TOO MUCH CASE CAPACITY.