In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bench Rest Shooters

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
I'm guessing most of you neck turn your cases as part of your case prep.

I bought an RCBS neck turner to go on my Case Trimmer II. I played with it tonight on some scrap brass.

Do any of you have a method to get the cutting anvil set? I couldn't get it adjusted very easy with out cutting air or taking hunks out.

I was thinking maybe a fealer gauge may work?

One other thing...I'm shooting a 1974 Remington ADL 700 in 7mm Rem Mag all factory. My reloading supplier said I was pissing into the wind trying to neck turn cases, then shoot them out of a factory gun. Am I gaining anything here?

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bambambam,

The feeler gauge is exactly the thing to use. This is a very finely adjusted tool without the 'very fine adjustability' built in.

I think that most will agree that on the surface we might think that this could be a waste of time on your part, especially considering the quality of Remington's chambers.

However, the act of minimally turning the case neck makes the neck thickness consistent in thickness and when coupled with a proper bushing die and bushing, allows the shooter to get the best, consistent bullet release from that brass case.

Is it going to make your rifle super accurate? Nope. But it might show some small improvement over the chronograph with the velocities and ES being slightly more consistent.

Be aware that your brass resizing will change a little bit also, that's why I suggest a bushing die for more control.

Best.
  • CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many Benchrest shooters no longer turn case necks except for a very minimum clean up of any high spots. I'm not familiar with the RCBS neck turner but, if it's part of a case trimmer set up, it probably is not the best way to turn necks. Most shooters use one of the very basic and simple neck turning tools, where you first uniformly expand the inside of the neck with a mandrel, and then make adjustments based on measurements of the actual case. The neck wall thickness is not nearly as important as it was once thought. Uniformity is really what matters.

Back when case necks were very uneven, neck turning was almost mandatory for increased accuracy. Today, most brands of brass are very good right out of the box. Turning necks for a factory chamber may actually make accuracy worse since it only makes a sloppy fit even sloppier. Having a case neck wall uniform within a small fraction of a thousandth of an inch doesn't mean much when there is a .020" gap between the neck and the chamber.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As stated above. About the only time I turn neck's is on military brass like Lake City match. Improvement is minor, but noticeable.
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neck turning- Will it make a difference? You wont know till you try. My testing showed an improvement with standard dies & a factory rifle. But brass was also sorted by weight & flash hole uniformed. I use a Lyman that only removes metal on the outside of the brass. Your RCBS said "Both the inside and outside of the case neck is turned simultaneously." This sounds like a lot of brass may be removed?? Bushing dies help by only sizing 1/2 of the neck of my other 243 win. Using Win brass, turned and unturned brass can be sized with 3 busings. Redding_1.jpg
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS Case Trimmer w/ Auto Feed

DSCN0209.jpg

The 7mm pilot is a reamer and arbor for the cutter.

DSCN0208.jpg

Auto Feed is guided by the VERY fine threaded coupler on the right, as you turn the handle it feeds at the rate of the thread. When you get to the neck you lift the guide finger off the threads and pull the shaft back.

DSCN0206.jpg
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    identify the area of the neck where you wish to turn the diameter to
    100_0335.jpg

after marking that section of the neck, set the trimmer/cutter to THAT point of the neck and then turn the necks accordingly

100_0341.jpg

or use a piece of old brass, and continually set the cutter VERY LITTLE at a time, until you get the correct thickness

select the correct size bushing for your dies, and get started sizing the turned cases
    100_0374.jpg

not really rocket science, but pays dividends in tight neck/match spec chambers.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 292 bushing you show, what equipment does that go on?

I'm curious because none of my stuff has anything like that.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    same as the bushings posted by 243winxb. It is a redding bushing, that is used in redding bushing series dies. The bushings are numbered by the .001",...so a 292 is .292".

That is for my 6.5x55imp die set. say I have a (6.5mm) .264" bullet, and a case with it's neck turned to .015", that would yield a seated round of .294" (.264" + .015" + .015"). The .292" bushing would, therefore, give .002" neck tension.
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The RCBS inside cutter would be to remove a donum, if one has formed, i would guess?? The Lyman outside turns after the case is FL sized & expanded with a standard die. Bushings will not size all the way to the shoulder for me. So a standard die is needed to use the Lyman turner.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]