In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Powder Measure Recomendation

Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
I have been using a Lee perfect powder measure but is anything but perfect. Leaks like crazy on fine ball power like H110 or AA #9. What do you recommend as a replacement? RCBS or Lyman or what? Tired of a cookie tin under the thing to catch all the power that leaks.

Comments

• RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the RCBS Uniflow with a RCBS Uniform Micrometer screw
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I like my Lyman real good. I doesn't leak with any powder [;)]
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Hornady. Works very well. Have used the RCBS as well. Worked as good. The Hornady may be just a hair more accurate. Also. You can get different rotors or just the adjustable part. Then its a quick switch to different charge of powder.
  • Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like every other one works and the Lee is .......... well you get what you pay for.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been using my RCBS Uniflow for years and it is consistent and ACCURATE with any powder I have used in it from H322 to old IMR 4831.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The powder measure on a STAR progressive press Is the best their is for loading pistols.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both drum's for my uniflow. I like the little dandy with the rotors but it doesn't meter well with big stick powder.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Maxx424
    Sounds like every other one works and the Lee is .......... well you get what you pay for.

I'll take Lee products over any of the other over priced junk on the market any day. If a Lee Perfect Powder Measure is leaking it just needs to be fixed because if they all leaked they'd never sell a one of them. There's thousands of them out here that work perfectly.
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a Lee perfect powder measure and was not happy with it and traded it off, the quirks were too many and inconsistant to get good results.

Have a couple of Lee auto disk measures that came with the Pro 1000's and while they have issues they are few and managable, I do get consistent results. They are fine as part of the press system but would not buy one to use otherwise.

Had issues with the Lil Dandy I tried using once, probably due to extruded powders I liked using so it went buy bye.

Had tw different Uniflows and was happy with them. But when I got an old Ohaus in trade it became my favorite after I fabricated bottle. and I sold the Uniflow.

If I was buying new I would purchase the Uniflow.
  • papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    The powder measure on a STAR progressive press Is the best their is for loading pistols.

Those are mighty strong words there, pilgrim

not that I really doubt ya.
  • Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    quote:Originally posted by Maxx424

I'll take Lee products over any of the other over priced junk on the market any day. If a Lee Perfect Powder Measure is leaking it just needs to be fixed because if they all leaked they'd never sell a one of them. There's thousands of them out here that work perfectly.

I don't know about that. I have a number of Lee items and some work fine. They have been good on repairs but having a press frame break seems to be the result of a cheap product. Their scale is also cheap. Dies are fine. Perhaps when I get my new dispenser I'll send the perfect one back to lee and see.