In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How to tell if a particular case is reloadable?

DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
I pick up my brass that I shoot, but other cases tend to get included and I sort them out at home. What I want to know, how can you tell if any particular case is loadable or not? I know aluminum and steel cases are not reloadable. But there are some out there that are steel cases with a brass layer on the outside. I know S&B has some, and maybe Wolf and Herters. They look the same as their regular brass. Is there anything that I can do to check that a case is good, or should I just toss anything that I know isn't mine? In that case the issue would be if I am shooting brass cased S&B and there are brass coated steel S&B cases already on the ground from someone else.

Comments

• asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be a simple matter to check them with a magnet.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Look inside the case, if one center flash hole, reload it. Berdan cases have two holes off center. You can load them but it's a PIA [xx(] Steel with a center hole can be loaded [^]
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Steel with a center hole can be loaded"

I'm not now nor do I expect to ever be that desperate.
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One can reload a steel case. However, it will not group well. Even five steel cases will shoot a larger group that five brass cases, and the recoil often feels "funny."
    If it isn't brass with a single flash hole in the center, it is scrap.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've never seen brass coated steel. I have seen copper coated steel and lacquer coated steel. Not saying that it can't happen, but I haven't seen it. That said, my curious side would have to get the better of me and I'd want to see how they load. Use plenty of lube and try a few; but unless you're really hard up, I agree, in general they are scrap.
  • DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy
    It would be a simple matter to check them with a magnet.

A simple fix that I never though of, but will try.
  • DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    I've never seen brass coated steel. I have seen copper coated steel and lacquer coated steel. Not saying that it can't happen, but I haven't seen it. That said, my curious side would have to get the better of me and I'd want to see how they load. Use plenty of lube and try a few; but unless you're really hard up, I agree, in general they are scrap.

S&B was making some brass coated steel ammo in 9mm years ago for a little less than the regular brass. I got some and they looked the same, but I don't have those anymore. Not sure if they still have it.

All brass that I have has the 1 hole. I actually saw my first two holed brass ever last week, and didn't expect to find it, but figured that was the berdan prime. It was an extra case that got mixed in mine. But it appeared to be brass.
  • deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    to me if I'm unsure how many times the brass has been loaded,i turn it over to a friend who collects it for junk.that's the safest method for me,just my .02