In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

6.5 creedmoor

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Thinking about getting a longer range target gun for shooting rocks and such, no competition. Looking at a 6.5 creedmoor in a Ruger M77 with a 28" barrel just because I am not serious enough to want to spend $2K on a fun time target gun. Thoughts on the gun or caliber? Thanks and happy new year!

Todd

Comments

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thinking about buying one to play around with. Any one have one? If so what gun is it in and how does it shoot?

Todd
    edited November -1
    Ok. Been trying to get the correct skinny on this cartridge. Even though Hornady says this is a "from the the bottom up newly designed round", it sure looks like a 6XC (which is a 250 savage with a modified Ackley taper, shortened to 1.90 over all case length, with a pushed back 30 degree shoulder) necked up to 6.5. I dont have any dimensional specs on the 6.5 to make caliper comparisons. Any ideas??

Vic
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.hornady.com/store/6.5-Creedmoor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5mm_Creedmoor

I like 6.5mm. Dad had in the 60's an Atkinson & Marquart 256 Newton built on an FN action. With 87gr. bullets it would dot the O's in Coor's cans at a 100 yards. It really shot well with 140's and 160's. I think I have some 180's from the Arizona Bullet Company that were made for that rifle. IIRC the twist was 1 in 7.5"

I have a bring back 6.5 Jap. from an uncle. My Newton rifle had a shot out 256 barrel. It now has a new Springfield 30-06 barrel. I really want to re-rifle the shot out one to 7mm and make it a 280 Ackley improved.

I have seen a few 77 that were good shooter's.
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 6.5 creedmoor is an accurate caliber from what i see of the 3 Savage rifles being shot at my club. But i think shooters will lose interest & the cartridge will go the way of the 260 Rem. Brass may be hard to find at times for reloading.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think 6.5 Creedmoor (and 6.5 Lapua) will be replaced by .260 Remington for those who want a short 6.5. Especially now that you can get Lapua brass for .260.

But that's in the long run, you will be able to wear out the 6.5 Creedmoor before you run out of cases.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    I think 6.5 Creedmoor (and 6.5 Lapua) will be replaced by .260 Remington for those who want a short 6.5. Especially now that you can get Lapua brass for .260.

But that's in the long run, you will be able to wear out the 6.5 Creedmoor before you run out of cases.

Hawk,

I'll have to disagree with you. The huge advantage the 6.5 Creed has over the .260 is you have room to seat bullets out a ways in the Rem 700. In the .260 the 140/142 class is at the ogive almost to fit in the mag. This is even more true in the -10 platform. You get a little more room with a Savage.

The other thing is Remington still lags far behind in bullets they choose for capability.

FWIW, my friend down in Nevada shoots a 6.5 Creed and does quite well with it out to a mile. He also shoots a lot of the Nevada/California comps and does really well.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies so far. About a year ago or more I was reading an article about the 6.5 and how great it was and it got the wheels turning. Then after reading some more info about the 6.5 and also the test of the Colt M2012 in Rifle Shooter magazine's Jan/Feb 2014 issue and how great the 6.5 was over the 308 past 300 yds I'm hooked. Just can't decide on a gun though. There's a lot of mention of the Rem 700 but not a lot of other guns. As mentioned before I'm looking at the Ruger since I'm not a Savage fan and don't want to spend the $$ on a custom gun........not yet[}:)]

Todd
  • hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might want to check the 6.5x55 Swede with the 29" barrel. Low cost, ammo avail, low recoil, and shoots flatter than a 30-06. I've never read a negative report on that rifle.

I have 3 swedes also in the M94 shorter version. Great for white tail.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    toad67,

The 6.5mm Creedmoor and it's offspring, the 6mm Creedmoor, are based on the Hornady/TC development of the .30 T/C cartridge. The case is shorter than the .260 Rem. (1.920") but it has the now accepted 'improved' case shape utilizing the 30 degree shoulder with a blown out body, creating more case capacity. The shorter case allows the bullet to be seated out of the case which creates more usable case capacity.

These improvements in the case design, along with the availability of brass, have the 6.5mm/6mm Creedmoor leading the way in accuracy-type matches such as F-Class and the multitude of Tactical matches. The growth and popularity can partially be attributed to the ability to use these cartridges in semi-auto AR-10 platforms as well as the standard bolt rifles.

A draw for the 6.5mm Creedmoor is the selection of factory ammunition. It has both target and hunting ammunition loaded with appropriate bullets for either pursuit. The brass can be saved then for reloading after enjoying the experience of factory ammo first.

I'm am not a fan of either Savage or Ruger firearms. However, if the choice came down to between the two, I might have to side with the Ruger. The models you are considering have gotten good reviews so I think they might hold up for the average rock shooting public.[:D] You will not see either of these in real competitions though. Well, occasionally a Savage crops up but rarely. But since you aren't headed for any competitions, I expect you'll do fine.

Enjoy the process!

Best.
  • danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    toad67,

The 6.5mm Creedmoor and it's offspring, the 6mm Creedmoor, are based on the Hornady/TC development of the .30 T/C cartridge. The case is shorter than the .260 Rem. (1.920") but it has the now accepted 'improved' case shape utilizing the 30 degree shoulder with a blown out body, creating more case capacity. The shorter case allows the bullet to be seated out of the case which creates more usable case capacity.

These improvements in the case design, along with the availability of brass, have the 6.5mm/6mm Creedmoor leading the way in accuracy-type matches such as F-Class and the multitude of Tactical matches. The growth and popularity can partially be attributed to the ability to use these cartridges in semi-auto AR-10 platforms as well as the standard bolt rifles.

A draw for the 6.5mm Creedmoor is the selection of factory ammunition. It has both target and hunting ammunition loaded with appropriate bullets for either pursuit. The brass can be saved then for reloading after enjoying the experience of factory ammo first.

I'm am not a fan of either Savage or Ruger firearms. However, if the choice came down to between the two, I might have to side with the Ruger. The models you are considering have gotten good reviews so I think they might hold up for the average rock shooting public.[:D] You will not see either of these in real competitions though. Well, occasionally a Savage crops up but rarely. But since you aren't headed for any competitions, I expect you'll do fine.

Enjoy the process!

Best.

what rifles do you recommend [?]
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm new to the 6.5 Creedmore since I just started playing with it this year. The first one I bought was a Browning AB3. Then, after reading reviews of a rifle I'd never heard of, I got a Bergara. Since then, I picked up a Ruger American and a Kimber 84M. I'm getting a Savage next week (a Christmas present to myself). As of now, the Ruger shoots slightly better groups than the others but with a little slower velocity. I've used 10 different powders and 7 different bullets so far and have pretty much settled on H4350 and RL17 but am going to do further development with RL16. It's been a fun project. But I noticed something amusing: The .250 Savage is one of my favorite cartridges and while I was reloading for the 6.5 I noticed a few .250 in a loading block on a nearby shelf. So I picked one up and compared it to the 6.5. It appears cartridge development has not changed much since 1915!
  • ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
    edited November -1
    I built two 6.5 x 284 wildcats back in the late 1960s for a fellow that wanted them for hunting antelope in West Texas. I custom loaded several hundred rounds of 140gr Nosler bullets. I had the barrel chambered so that I could maximize the powder load and kept the free bore to the absolute minimum...feedback was that he took several at around 400 to 500 yards.

I have not actually compared the 6.5 Creedmoor to the 6.5x284 but what I have seen and heard from others regarding the ballistics, I think the 6.5x284 is slightly hotter by about a couple of hundred fps.

I personally think that the 7mm bullet is probably the most accurate there is...but then I am probably biased.
  • danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Ironic that this topic is back up since I'm looking at buying a new Creedmoor. The Ruger is okay, it's heavy and the 28" bbl is a bit excessive. Looking at a new Bergara LRP rifle..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    Ironic that this topic is back up since I'm looking at buying a new Creedmoor. The Ruger is okay, it's heavy and the 28" bbl is a bit excessive. Looking at a new Bergara LRP rifle..

I'd suggest a Howa if you want a 6.5 Creed. Bergara's are nice, but the tuned ones run pretty expensive.

The Ruger RPR's are producing good results. I'm not a Ruger fan by any means, but those are worth getting. While many don't like the Savage series of rifles, I do. The easiest part is plumbing it yourself.

Back when this was first posted, I was appalled at what Remington HAD NOT done with the .260. It's gained some ground back though. Even though it's longer it has one advantage. The 6.5 Cr. 'improved' case nononsense mentions also makes feeding a little tricky. The reduction in case taper means that cases don't sit flush against each other and the rails. With single stack or centerfeed mags, it isn't so much of a problem as there are two magazine lips holding the case body. In open staggerfeed configuration, like older Savages, all Remmy's and Winchesters, it's not always going to pick up the case, as there is just enough room for the rim to hang below the bolt face.

One reason I recommend the Howa, along with good accuracy, is you can get a high capacity magazine system that feeds well.
    edited November -1
    danielgage,

quote:what rifles do you recommend[?]

That's a much tougher question to answer than it appears to be. It really depends on your needs and desires and your budget, of course.

If I was looking for a 'target-style' rifle for some fun type shooting at steel or paper, which had a reasonable potential for accuracy yet was affordable, I guess right now I would opt for the RPR which is on sale for $998.99 chambered for the 6.5 Creedmoor.

If it's a hunting rifle you're after, look for any of the better quality commercial offerings to see if they meet your needs.

Hawk Carse and sandwarrior,
    quote:

quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse

quote:Hawk,

I'll have to disagree with you. The huge advantage the 6.5 Creed has over the .260 is you have room to seat bullets out a ways in the Rem 700. In the .260 the 140/142 class is at the ogive almost to fit in the mag. This is even more true in the -10 platform. You get a little more room with a Savage.

The other thing is Remington still lags far behind in bullets they choose for capability.

FWIW, my friend down in Nevada shoots a 6.5 Creed and does quite well with it out to a mile. He also shoots a lot of the Nevada/California comps and does really well.

Disclaimer:

I'm short on time while trying to take care of my mother so please excuse me if I appear to be disrespectful or contrary to a great degree. I have no intention of being either.

As with all the naysayers and stalwart supporters of the .260 Remington, you are wrong since the 6.5mm and the 6mm Creedmoor are replacing the .260 Rem. and the .243 Win. at a rapid pace. These two factory offerings will not be totally replaced but you are seeing the displacement currently. The reasoning is simple, these Creedmoor cartridges are better cartridges than the original factory offerings from either Winchester or Remington.

They are shorter but have the same capacity as the originals yet allow the newer longer VLD bullets to be seated out further so that they don't encroach on the powder space.

The case is 'improved' in that the sides do not taper as much as the originals yet allows for easy extraction. This also includes the 30* shoulder which adds to the performance of each case. As an aside, I have never run into any problems with feeding from magazines, either BDL or DBM with either of these cartridges. We generally know what to do to tweak a build and get the numbers right at the start for magazine feeding. Conversions by home builders and those gunsmiths unfamiliar with the techniques of feeding will suffer.

In the long run as discussed, Lapua is manufacturing the 6.5 Creedmoor cases on a regular basis as is Peterson Brass. Peterson brass offers both the small rifle primer and the standard rifle primer. Add into this AlphaMunitions who also offer high grade 6.5 Creedmoor brass. I am testing both manufacturers and am finding that these are exceptional examples of the finest American manufacturing. The best part is the reduced cost as compared to the Lapua prices which have gone off the chart. This includes Hornady, the originator of the Creedmoor case. We now have an excellent selection of brass from several makers in either the small rifle primer or the large.

For the naysayers who point to John Whidden's win at a national title 1,000 yard competition using the standard .243 Win., I suggest that John Whidden's talent would allow him to win using any decent cartridge because of his talent. He can also afford to replace his barrels as often as he wants because he owns a Gunsmithing shop, which he will need using the .243 Win. in competition.

Best and respectfully.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard nothing but good,this includes die hard 30 caliber guys and 6.5 x 55 guys.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just read an article in the Rifleman magazine that claims the 6.0 Creedmore will obsolete the 6.5 ?
    edited November -1
    JimmyJack,

quote:Just read an article in the Rifleman magazine that claims the 6.0 Creedmore will obsolete the 6.5 ?

I haven't had the time to sit down and read any of the magazines recently so I'm a little behind on what the 'print experts' have to say with regard to what's what. My comments are are based on the context of what I produce and compete with against other shooters. I do not know what the context is of the article you mention.

Both the 6.5mm and 6mm Creedmoor are very successful cartridges for all the reasons mentioned above. The availability of excellent factory ammunition is a huge plus for both cartridges now. This applies to both the hunting and target ammunition. In general, I'm convinced that both cartridges will continue for a long time because of this availability and performance.

The 6mm Creedmoor is pushing the 6.5mm aside but only in the basic PRS competitions. The milder recoil, faster target acquisition and accuracy all play a role in the increasing popularity of this cartridge. For the average hunter/part-time target shooter, the 6.5mm Creedmoor is still leading the pack because of the greater selection of ammunition for both pursuits.

Best.
    edited November -1
    nononsense,

You do realize you responded to my 2014 post? [8D] [:D]

I should have followed up on this a little closer, though. As last year I had a 6.5 Creed built on a Winchester. Unfortunately, I didn't see the case shape issue before hand or I would have done what I was going to do, a 6.5x55 Swede on this M70 LA. This is a part of the feeding issue, but even in short mags that are made for .308 based cases they don't fit quite right.

That said, dedicated off-the-shelf 6.5 Creed rifles have made the minor allowances needed to make these feed the right way. And, you can get a high capacity bolt action with them.[:D] Which make me happy to see, even if I didn't do it this way.

I agree too, the efficiency and market support the Creedmoors are getting is SOOOOO much better than putting up with Remington not giving a damn about the .260. Especially after they stole it.

Hope things are going well for your mum, and the snow isn't too bad around where you're at. It's obnoxious up here in the UP. (I moved)
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior,

quote:and the snow isn't too bad around where you're at. It's obnoxious up here in the UP. (I moved)

You mean you moved AGAIN! Goodness! You move around more than I do!

I used to own property in the UP just west of Watersmeet. Three of us had a cabin on a small lake (Clearwater lake) connected to a chain (Cisco) of lakes. For evening fun we would drive back into Wisconsin for dinner at one of the Land O'Lakes bars. We hunted Woodcock, Ruff Grouse, bear and deer, of course. We fished all the lakes in the chain hard during spring and summer. Great place except for winter. We had to use snow shoes... Way too cold sometimes.

The simple fix for feeding is to pinch the bends in the magazine spring a little... [:D]

Best.
    edited November -1
    I drive right back through Watersmeet to get back to the real world. Houghton/Hancock is unique, but it's literally a world unto itself.

Someday I'll have to sit down and write you a letter detailing all the moving we've done.[8D] At least I'm still married.[:D] Aviation hasn't been able to kill that.[;)]

AIDS=aviation induced divorce syndrome

The 6.5 Creed on a 5 degree day.
    http://www.forum.snipershide.com/attachments/img_20171224_151310148_hdr-jpg.6819148/
    edited November -1
    Just bought a Bergara BMP in 6.5...let the fun begin[:p]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    Just bought a Bergara BMP in 6.5...let the fun begin[:p]

Get ready to find a place you can shoot it to a mile.[;)] For the record, "Yes, you can!"[:D]
    edited November -1
    toat67,

We did some work on Bergara barrels here in the States while they were trying to play catch up at the beginning. The steel was very good quality and the bores were straight. We didn't get to shoot them but the reports were exceptionally favorable from the manufacturer.

Good Luck with your new rifle!

Best.
    edited November -1
    Really looking forward to playing with it. After reading the Bergara reviews it was really hard to resist it. Still waiting on a 20 moa base and some 30mm picitanny rings...Have 10 boxes of factory Hornady 140 amax ready to go....come on sunshine..[:D]