In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Speaking of Odd Primers

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
At the gun show, I picked up a brick of Federal 210 large rifle primers. They are the old brass colored dome-shaped ones in the wooden trays that I vaguely remember from when I first started reloading in the 1950's. I still have the proper shaped seating punch for my RCBS press. The guy had several bricks priced @ $18 and I'll probably be sorry I didn't get more of them. Anybody else remember them? A new brick of Federals is now HUGE but this one is tiny in comparison.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So about 50% of new primer price. I'd pass on unknown storage conditions primers that old. I remember when they switched to shoebox size containers, yet they still charge a hazardous materials fee.

I have CCI in plastic and perhaps wood trays from my Dad from back then. I have some mercuric Rem and Win from the 10's and 20's. I just ran some Winchester Western Staynless LP K4003P No 7 -111 wood tray dome shaped. They have been 100% in my 1911.

My oldest Pacific press has the cup shape primer ram. I do all my priming with a Lyman 310 tool.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hmmm....just burned up some "western" 115's and 116's. No problem at all. Earlier in the year I loaded a few boxes of 30-30 for a friend
    with CIL LR (from the 40's) didn't get any complaints from him either.
    Storage is everything.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Side note:
    These (convex primers) are what the old line about "Primer Flattening" referred to. NOT the FLAT primers that are sold today.

File that bit of trivia away, for the next time some FJA starts ranting about "flattened primers means high pressure"

SLICS09020.jpg
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMG_4621e.jpg Shot these about 2 years ago. All fired.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Now and then I've gotten some deals on old primers. I didn't know about special seating punches. I just used a regular punch in my Lee hand tool. Yeah, the dome ever so slightly flattened, but it wasn't an issue. All went bang reliably.

I've occasionally seen bad primer batches. I got one batch of Wolf LR primers that were horribly weak, but uniformly so... wouldn't touch off any extruded or slow ball powders without a long hangfire, so I used them on black powder or cast bullet plinker loads with fast powder... but in general, age has never been an issue in predicting primer success. I got a batch of primed 06 brass with the original primers dated from the late teens through the mid 30s... some long ago reloader had pulled down the cases for components apparently and the primed brass ended up in an estate sale. Who knows how it was stored? I loaded it all up and shot it in bolt guns with 1 misfire out of 1200 rounds.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I loaded up a box of 20 .30/06 with my standard load of 53 gr. IMR4064 and 150 Hornady BTSP and used the old F210 primer. At the range the other day, fired them in a Dickson-Howa Golden Bear (a Japan copy of the Sako L61). The four 5-shot groups averaged 1.07" which is about as good as I can shoot an '06. So if the rest of those primers are at the next gun show, they'll come home with me, too.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have some bricks of primers that is just the primer CUP and primer compound in the cup no anvil I was told by an olg years ago they were for some type of shot gun primer you rebuilt the old primer with this new Cup anyone remember any thing like this [?][?][?][?]
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can remember back in the early to mid 60's reloading shotgun primers for my dad. I likely have some of the cups around here somewhere. My 10 year older sister would load the shells for his before work and after work daily dove shoot. 100 rounds a day habit.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    perryshooter, could they be Berdans? Some people like the mess of reloading some of those, or they have no choice.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I have some bricks of primers that is just the primer CUP and primer compound in the cup no anvil I was told by an olg years ago they were for some type of shot gun primer you rebuilt the old primer with this new Cup anyone remember any thing like this [?][?][?][?]

berdans.

primers.gif
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Wow never gave that they might be berdan I will have to look in one of my older Cartridges of the world and seeif I can find what measurement should be Thanks for the IDEA.