In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45-70 Gov Load.

EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
Okay folks I may have asked before but cant find the answer.

I am looking for a load using IMR 3031 with a 500gr jacketed bullet for my TC Contender Pistol.

The 500gr cast is loaded at 40gr of 3031.

Most of what I shoot are 410gr cast with 50gr of Varget, but I am out of Varget but Santa left me some 3031.

Any ideas where it was I saw the load for the 500gr jacketed?

Any help would be nice.
Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.

Comments

• TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tflogger
    http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/4570govt.php

Oops! didn't see that the max was 405gr. till after I pasted the link. still, Google will find it for you.
  • hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only have the Lyman book to go by and the only load they have for the 500 gr jacketed and 3031 is a load for Ruger No. 1, 3, and rifles built on Mauser 98 actions. Starting is 44 gr and max is 53.1. Might be a tad stout in a Contender.
  • longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used some 3031 in some loads for my 45-70 & found it to be quite brutal to fire.
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, I will hunt it down, some place I saw it and may have printed it out.

I am thinking the loads for the heavy guns will not only hurt me but my pistol also. [:)]
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    45-70, 500 gr
    Bullet Powder Weight Powder Velocity OAL Primer Source
    Solid 46.0 gr IMR3031 1,300 fps 3.075" WLR guest

Fired from a 14" Contender this round completely penetrated a 23" pine and deeply enough into an 11" pine behind it that the bullet could not be recovered. Primers show safe and acceptable pressure signs.

1 Handloads

Users assume all risk, responsibility and liability whatsoever for any and all injuries (including death), losses or damages to persons or property (including consequential damages), arising from the use of any data, whether or not occasioned by publisher's negligence or based on strict liability or principles of indemnity or contribution. Handloads.Com neither assumes nor authorizes any person to assume for it any liability in connection with the use of any data.

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=45-70&Weight=500&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

only load I know of for contender at 500 gr. bullet.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an old Hornady Manual (1967) that lists a starting load of 34.1 grains of 3031 and a max load of 42.8 grains. This was for an 1886 Winchester. That has to be a truly meaningful emotional event when that goes off in your own personal hand! This was for their 500 grain Jacketed round nose soft point.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not sure I am man enough to fire the 500 grain bullet 45-70 in a handgun.

51.5 of IMR3031 pushing a 300 JHP is brutal enough out of my Encore rifle barrel.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    I am not sure I am man enough to fire the 500 grain bullet 45-70 in a handgun.

51.5 of IMR3031 pushing a 300 JHP is brutal enough out of my Encore rifle barrel.

The loads I have been looking at are all for the trapdoor. I will use my pistol sling so if my thumb breaks or just pops out of socket my gun wont hit the ground. [:)]

Of all the powders I would have picked 3031 would not have been high on the list, it just seems to have a "sharp" recoil VS other powders I have used, so I will be expecting the upper limits of recoil.

Heavy recoil is not new to me, I just dont want to do harm to the gun. My thumb and wrist will heal if need be. [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    I have an old Hornady Manual (1967) that lists a starting load of 34.1 grains of 3031 and a max load of 42.8 grains. This was for an 1886 Winchester. That has to be a truly meaningful emotional event when that goes off in your own personal hand! This was for their 500 grain Jacketed round nose soft point.

Through my fog drizzled brain I am seeing the old load I had printed was starting at 35gr, but I could be so very wrong. [:)]
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love using 3031 in the Marlin...Haven't ever fired a .45/70 in a Contender, I bet it's a kicker!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    I love using 3031 in the Marlin...Haven't ever fired a .45/70 in a Contender, I bet it's a kicker!

I have 3 loads to try tomorrow, got to be sure my wrist brace is one tight. [8D]

Recoil does not bother me, even the thought of dislocating my thumb again is not a big deal. I do not want to damage my pistol.

I know with the expected recoil to just let the elbow flex as it feels fit, what does worry me is the torque of that 500gr bullet trying to twist the pistol out of my grip. I have that covered, a lanyard on the sling mount and around my wrist. I dont want it hitting the ground.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my favorite 45 bullets is the 330 Gould Hollow Point Lyman 457122. Cast soft they function nicely, hard with lots of antimony mine is .461 and a bear to size.