In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 740 loads

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
Friend has a rem 740. What recipes work best? Not too much pressure but enough to work the action and deliver good ballistics?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So what cartridge is it. Personally any load in the book should be fine.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    So what cartridge is it. Personally any load in the book should be fine.

Sorry. 30/06

Thought it in my head but appapently didn't type it.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I loaded for my Belgium Browning BAR in 06 I liked the 165 gr on top of a full case of H-4831. If I was loading today I would favor a boattail and a ball powder. Sort of depends on what you can find.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load to the old Garand specs (150 gr. bullet @ 2700 fps) in an effort to minimize stress on my 740. 50 gr. of IMR4895 with a 150 gr Sierra spt or Hornady spire works pretty well.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    LIKE AMBROSE SAID, STICK TO THE 'MEDIUM' BURNING POWDERS AND 150-180 GN BULLETS
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Back in the day", we shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds of M-2 ball through our 742's and they worked and held up great. With this in mind, I'd recommend a moderate load of 4895 behind bullets in the 125-180 range.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the two I had - a .308 and an '06 - they needed to be loaded using small base dies for function reliability. Stay with factory-level loads, it's not a rifle to use to try for that nearly magnum load, use a bolt gun or a single shot for those.
    FWIW my $.02 worth
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    I load to the old Garand specs (150 gr. bullet @ 2700 fps) in an effort to minimize stress on my 740. 50 gr. of IMR4895 with a 150 gr Sierra spt or Hornady spire works pretty well.

Can't go wrong with this,I loaded the same way and got good results.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After sizing,check and be sure the brass will chamber before finishing loading.The first batch I loaded years ago,for a 742 less than half of the rounds would chamber.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the small base dies, I loaded 40-50 rounds before I discovered only maybe one out of 5 would chamber. I use varget in the medium load range and have killed many deer over the last 10-12 years. it is suitable for many different bullet weights and while many complain it may not have hole splitting acuracy it is acurate enough to kill deer, and easy to find.
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find 50 grains of WW748 and 150 bullets work very well in semi's