In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 and the Hornady Auto Charge

NateNate Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
Has anyone used both the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 and the Hornady Auto Charge powder dispensers? Looking at the reviews online both units look good. The RCBS has been out longer and I found a few reviews that compared it to other machines but not the Hornady.

A quick look at Cabelas website, the Hornady is $50 less after mail in rebate. So price really isn't an issue.

Have a milestone birthday coming up and the wife says she will get me whatever one I want.

Thanks,
Nate

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I've reviewed the Hornady and the Smart Reloader digital. Of the two, I much prefer the Hornady because you don't have to re-program it every time you use it. It's pretty much an intuitive plug-n-play unit.

I used the original RCBS for a decade, but that is a different machine altogether. I've never used a Lyman.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I have a chargemaster 1500 and love it.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the RCBS and you wont be disapointed.They have a great product and warranty. All my reloading componets are RCBS because of there quaility. PS Happy Birthday
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the RCBS Chargemaster and love it. But, I think it is what color you like better. Both companies stand by their products.

Happy Birthday!
  • JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One more for the chargemaster. Can't believe I waited so long to get one.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Please note that RCBS's warranty on electronics is good, but NOT their usual lifetime bit.

I've been thinking of buying one of these 2 myself so will also follow this discussion with interest.
  • laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just ordered a ChargeMaster from MidSouth. I couldn't resist the price being that everywhere else is from $300-450! I hope to have the same luck that you guys have had.
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    When my chargemaster was damaged in a lightning strike RCBS replaced it for $45 not to bad for customer service!
  • 1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have primarily RCBS equipment. It's old, weathered, and functions perfectly each and every single time. I have some Hornady equipment, but not much. A few sets of dies. Good stuff as well. I had been using Hornady bullets forever.

I purchased the Hornady Auto Charge. It was a little cheaper, and was there the day I "had to have it". I have to say it is easy to use. VERY easy. I have heard the RCBS unit is a little more complicated to use, but couldn't say so for sure. I feel the Hornady piece is as good as you could hope. I am certain that the RCBS unit is excellent as well.

I did a review when I got mine here that still might be on, but I have put it through the works for almost a year with NO major problems.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same here. My formal review is still awaiting publication, but I give the Hornady a big thumb's up.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.