In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloading 410's

casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone had experience with "Lanes reloading" for 410?

" The Lanes Hand Loader is the ideal tool for hunters and target shooters who don't want to spend a bundle on shotgun reloading press just to reload a few shells. Those of you familiar with the once common, Lee Loader for shot shells will appreciate it's simplicity of the design and ease of use. Particularly popular is the 410 gauge reloading kit as there are no other inexpensive options for the loading in this gauge that we are aware of."

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see them for about $50 for reloading 2.5 and 3". The Lee kit often goes for almost $100 these days. I wish I had bought several dozen when they were about $10.

I have a Lee deluxe kit in 12 gauge 2.75". It works ok and sure is lighter to pack around than my Pacific 366 press.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my experience, loading 410 is a lesson in frustration even with the best equipment. Everything has to fit just so or it doesn't crimp right.
  • TriumphGuyTriumphGuy Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    .410's aren't that difficult to reload, at least for double guns. My MEC 600 Jr. turns out beautiful reloads with reputable recipes. Yes, some crimps are less than ideal, but take a critical look at a bunch of factory AA's and you will see an occasional imperfect fold. Lee's equipment is made to a low price point. My experience with any of their stuff, except dies, is uniformly bad, not worth the extra time it takes to turn out mediocre results. Buy a MEC 600 Jr. You might get lucky like I did and find a used one for $50, then you can discover the joys of this delightful, inexpensive, but effective little round. I've killed more quail with a .410 than any other gauge. The dirty little secret is that at less than 15 yards, its pattern opens up quicker than a 12 ga because of its ridiculously long shot column that upsets badly on firing, deforming and dispersing the shot, kind of like the old spreader loads. It's a short range deal, to be sure, but the pellets come out of the muzzle just as fast, and it only takes a few to kill or break anything.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    A little off-subject, but the .410 is probably the most seriously under-rated shotshell of all. The Italians have developed a 3" .410 load that carries a 7/8-oz shot load at 1,200 fps, which is into 20-ga territory. I think if the U.S. makers laoded the round to its true potential, sales would boom.
  • dog1944dog1944 Member Posts: 295 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another must have in reloading 410 is a good shop vac
    A 1/2 oz of nines will make a bigger mess then you realize
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've reloaded 410. It's a bit different than bigger gauges. The wad doesn't have any crush section so volume is critical to get a good crimp. I always eyeball the load before I crimp it. I look at the worn ring in relation to the top of the shot. I'll add a few pellets or tap a few out to get it just under that ring. I never add more than just a few. It works fine for me. I love the 410 and have had a lot of fun with mine. There's a 410 o/u in my future.