In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old Mixed Powders

44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
So I have 2 pounds of mixed powder that my father collected over the last 20 years and I have added a little as well. So my question is how do I get rid of this safely? I thought about lighting it up but this is stupid talk. Way to much to control if it got out of control.
Thanks guys

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scatter it out on the lawn
    Scatter it out on your wife's flower bed
    Etc

It breaks down and makes a great fertilizer.

You probably don't want to spread it to thick in one place, just incase someone throws a lit cigarette onto the pile
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the average shelf life of powder?
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "What is the average shelf life of powder?"......if properly stored indeffinetly. some ww2 powder is still good
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    When you say mixed... do you mean various types but each in their own can, or all blended together into one useless pot?

If the former, if you open it and don't see any discoloration or smell anything acrid, it's good to go yet and there's no reason to waste it. If the latter, then yes, pour it out.
  • 44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 one pound cans of misc powders that have spilled thru the years. All types mixed together. Worthless....
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In that case, it's definitely "sprinkleizer" for your lawn.

In the future, there's really no need to waste the last ounce or so of powder. Just mix it into the new can of the IDENTICAL KIND of powder you buy to replace it.

Spilled and swept up powders are trash, of course.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Rocky and the others posting not to use it. I personally like to start bonfires with it on Saturday night. Nice firepit in the back yard is plenty of room to light off several bullets worth at a time. FYI, black powder blows up in high quantities when no external limitations are placed on it. Smokeless powder burns either in the open or in containment....but with a lot of flame. Several bullets worth will flare up 2-3 ft. But, its a safe pyrotechnic show. As long as all the grass right next to it isn't bone dry of course.
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. Appreciated!!
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sprinking on the lawn is the best solution, IMHO. If you do decide to ignite it, remember that smokeless and blackpowder will react very differently. With smokeless you can light one end of a long thin trail (about 3 feet worth) leading to the main "pile". Stand back 20 feet and you should be fine. Try the same thing with black powder and the whole shebang will flare at once and scare the daylights of you, if not worse. I have a nice scar running the length of my right forearm that has served as a cautionary reminder to me for close to 60 years.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read once that smokeless if burned should be in shallow trails and shallow piles.
    I forget how shallow.
    Maybe Google has something to say.
    edited November -1
    Well yesterday I tried to burn a pound with an explosive target stuck to it. The exposive target never ignited the powder. So I ended up spreading it on the ground. Still got one pound left. I will have to get this lite somehow. Life is good.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44shotdoctor
    Well yesterday I tried to burn a pound with an explosive target stuck to it. The exposive target never ignited the powder. So I ended up spreading it on the ground. Still got one pound left. I will have to get this lite somehow. Life is good.

What, and I never get as much as a phone call?!

And I thought we wuz friends...

Okay, bring that bad boy over and we'll put int on my lawn.

Stinkin', one-way, self-centered, thoughtless, abba-dabba mofo.

Gimme a call.