In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

surplus powder cross reference

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
i have a chance to buy some surplus powder out of 308 blanks that is a flake powder.i was told that it uses unique load data,after loading a few 45acp i discovered it is much faster than unique. 5.5gr in a 45 acp with 230 lead bullet gave us 970 fps.i lowered it to 4.7 gr and got 859 fps adv, then i loaded 18 gr behind 1 oz of shot in a win 12 ga aa hull for a 1180 fps adv. where does this powder fall in the burn rate charts? what powder data could you use too load this powder in pistol and shotgun loads? any help is apprec.

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is something called SR 8231 and has no other application I can find, nor any data for loading with bullets. You are lucky they no longer use EC Blank Fire powder which would leave your guns in pieces.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The folly of "word of mouth" loading data - you're a very lucky guy - not too smart though. Post your next of kins contact information so we know where to send your "Darwin" award.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would recommend EXTREME caution when using a powder for a purpose it was never intended for; more like NEVER doing it. The savings in cost per round is insignificant to the COST potential in guns and body parts.

There is no way to know WHEN the bad will happen....
  • ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok my info was not correct.this powder was pulled from s african 308 with the 19gr plastic bullets.this is coming from a well known surplus dealer but they were told it is comparable too unique.it is faster than that and very clean burning.just trying to figure out what powder data to use.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no data to use.
    If you are getting a 230 gr .45 ACP up to 815 fps with only 3.7 grains of this stuff, then it is faster and hotter than anything I have ever heard of. You MIGHT be ok at that level but it would be smart to back down to about 750 fps... or not use it at all.
  • ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i edited my info in the first thread.its 4.7 gr in a 45 acp behind a 230gr lead bullet gave me 859fps.