In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Are case bulges really a big problem?

I've been told that they will cause feeding problems. How serious is this and how often should the bulges be removed?

I notices this little set for removing the bulges.
http://leeprecision.com/xcart/BULGE-BUSTER-KIT.html

Is there any reason this shouldn't work with 9x18 brass?

Edit: I was looking at the instructions on Lee's web site. It mentions that bulges are caused bu using carbide dies not made by Lee. Is this just propaganda or do Lee dies really remove the bulge?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have picked range brass with some serious bulges. I always thought they were fired in cheap crappy autoloaders/wheelguns. Back in the old days before carbide sizers were affordable you could run 45 acp completly through the die, Carbide ones will crack so I'm told. It say 9mm are semi rimmed. The old Lyman push in type are the only really true full length sizers, no shell holder. I have never had my brass bulge but I have quality firearms. I check all my guns for concentric chambers ie the fired case should spin in the chamber, those that don't pass this test are traded off.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you look at a carbide sizing die there is a taper into the opening. Carbide is brittle, if you were to slam a case into it as it entered the die you could crack or chip the carbide ring, they put a taper on it to make sure the case enters the ring with out catching.

The bulge at the base of the case is not going to interfere with its chambering, it is a visual thing more than a problem. Excessive bulging caused by firing in some machine guns or super hot loads is not good as it weakens the brass in the critical head area.

Also, from your link NOTE: 9mm cases are not able to be used in the Bulge Buster because it has a slightly tapered case and the rim is not completely flush with the case.
  • fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    If you look at a carbide sizing die there is a taper into the opening. Carbide is brittle, if you were to slam a case into it as it entered the die you could crack or chip the carbide ring, they put a taper on it to make sure the case enters the ring with out catching.

The bulge at the base of the case is not going to interfere with its chambering, it is a visual thing more than a problem. Excessive bulging caused by firing in some machine guns or super hot loads is not good as it weakens the brass in the critical head area.

Also, from your link NOTE: 9mm cases are not able to be used in the Bulge Buster because it has a slightly tapered case and the rim is not completely flush with the case.
    It doesn't mention the 9x18 Makarov though.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is not pistol caliber, but you asked about cases bulges. Direct result from a case bulge above the belt area.

001-4.jpg
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think those severe case bulges are spelled:GLOCK. I've heard that 40 S&W is about the worst. I only load for one 40 and that belongs to SIL who doesn't shoot much. So far I've been fine with just a visual inspection and rejection of those major bulges.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Unsupported area on 9MM pistols vary greatly. the more support the smaller the BULGE the milder the load the smaller the bulge. +p loads in a Glock worst of both worlds throw fired case in scrap pile. Don't take a chance with a reload Blowing.
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee's resiser crimp die works real good to size out any bulges that are left after reloading. That will keep you from having any problems.[;)]
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    It depends on the size of the bulge and how tight your chamber is.
    There was some 9mm brass I had that was bulged, don't remember the brand, that would not feed in my EAA Witness Sport with match barrel.
    Some of it wouldn't even feed in my Glock.
    The instruction you list for the lee web site are BS [:0][xx(]
    I used a lee press before going to Dillon, NO DIFFERENCE [^]
    The lee primer feed and powder measure for the turret press I had were pure s%&t [;)]
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Again, he's talking about Makarov brass.

They don't list a die for the Mak, and you cannot use the .380 die because Mak cases are a lot "fatter".
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reduce your load so you dont get a bulge.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]