In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Primer Substitutions

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
Think it would be ok to use small magnum pistol primer as a small rifle primer?

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they were commonly interchangeable, they'd come in a package marked"small magnum pistol/small rifle".
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From 4 years ago when we went through a similar crises, I recall the advice being that pistol primers(thinner cup) may be punctured in a rifle and that a rifle primer (thicker cup) may not ignite.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Generally no; however, if you cap off a few blanks to see if the pin pierces them, and use low pressure loads in pistol pressure ranges, with suitable powders, you'd be ok.

For instance, I often use pistol primers in my 30-06 with 18 gr of SR4759 as a reduced load; as such that's fine. But with a full tilt load, no. might be ok, but might drench you in gas.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can't find SP primers around here @ my 2 suppliers. Only other place to check is an hour drive to Gander Mt. or Sheels.

I ordered 1000 cast bullets for .38/.357 loads.

I was going to load "cowboy" loads and figured shooting them in a GP-100 wouldn't hurt anything?
  • Options
    NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The answer is Yes! This has been discussed before. I know for a fact that CCI small pistol magnum and CCI small rifle primers are identical. Same charge and amount of charge, same cup including thickness. This does not include the small rifle magnum which has a larger charge and thicker cup. There are also small magnum military primers which are known to have even harder cups.
    I bought 15k Wolf small rifle primers and have used them with no problems in my 40 and 38super 1911s. They don't work well in striker fired pistols. Light strikes.
    I use small rifle primers all the time in my hammer fired pistols.
    If you would not use small rifle primers in your AR loads then neither should you use the small pistol magnum primers in these loads either.
    This will not work with large pistol and large rifle primers as rifle primers are deeper/taller.
    Once again the answer is yes. I've been doing it for years and know others that do too!

Oh, and they would work just fine in your GP 100. I also use them in my 27 with no issues.

Packaging has nothing to do with it either. And if the small rifle primers don't get "punctured" then neither will the small pistol. Guessing is not much help here. I've done it!
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot many 1000's rifle primers in hammer fired pistols. I had to put a shim washer under the hammer spring in the model 60 S & W to get 100% knock off. The 1911's and 29's, 53, 10, never had a problem.

I have used pistol primers for cast bullet rifle loads.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    If they were commonly interchangeable, they'd come in a package marked"small magnum pistol/small rifle".

UPS just delivered these. Rifle,pistol,revolver.

DSCN0211.jpg
    DSCN0212.jpg