In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

new reloader questions

I have few questions for the experts:

Working with .338 lapua

1. After trimming i have variations in my brass trim to length of .003 to .007 short .....What am i doing wrong and are these cases ruined? FTIW the cases are Hornady and lapua?

2.I was decapping and resizing the hornady cases using the lyman #17 shell holder with no issues i then began to process the lapua brass and the cases would not go into the #17 shell holder? i had to use the lyman #22? Any body else encounter this issue?

3. And finally i would like to hear what type of case lube you all use. I hate this lyman lube that came with my press!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually use the Lee case lube, doesn't kill primers. For serious work the Redding sizing die wax is good.

New brass I chamfer the inside of the case mouth then deburr and uniform the flash hole. If they fit the gun I load them with a good cast bullet and shoot. If they don't fit I full length size them. After fire forming I trim with a Forster case trimmer, then chamfer the inside and out.

I have had issues with Norma brass in 44 Mag in the past. Look closely at the shell holder with a hand lens for burrs. I like to use the same brand of shell holder as the dies
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:i had to use the lyman #22? Any body else encounter this issue?

That's for a BP .50 cal! I have had Lapua brass be tight in my shell holders but not that much, That's a little puzzling

As for Case lube I make my own spray lube out of 100% pure Lanolin and Isopropyl alcohol. (same formula as reloading supply sells)

Case length your ok, If your under -.00X to size.
  • oscar meyeroscar meyer Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    FrancF I was puzzled as well i tried 25 cases and none would fit? I did not want to force them in. It seems like the belt of the lapua case is a different dimension than the hornady? Or the distance from the belt to the extractor lip is different? I am very new at this as this is my first set of cases thru the press.I hope my terminology is correct? Thanks for the input.
    edited November -1
    Do have .338 Winchester Mag Belted Cases or .338 Lapua? What Cal. is your rifle? Specifically?

.338 Win mag?
    .338 Federal?
    .338 Rem ultra mag?
    .338 Lapua?
    edited November -1
    .338 lapua ...lapua brand. I can tell you now with 100% certainty the lyman shell holder does not work for lapua brand brass but a rcbs #14 specifically states 338 lapua for lapua brand brass...i was surprised no one here has had this issue? I guess not many .338 lapua shooters using lapua brass. I went to reprime tonight and the #22 i used to deprime now would not hold the shell for repriming. I have ordered the rcbs holder...thanks for the help
    edited November -1
    Read my Post I "Edited it".
    edited November -1
    Rifle Savage 111 .338 lapua
    Brass .338 lapua brand (does not work in lyman #17 but was able to deprime and resize in lyman #22. Would not reprime in #22)
    I have .338 lapua brass by hornady no issues in lyman #17
    edited November -1
    Ok- The rim for the .338 Lapua should measure .588 What do you have? and is there a belt above the rim?
    edited November -1
    338LM338Win.jpg

.338 win mag L. .338 Lapua R.
    edited November -1
    .583 both lapua brass and hornady once fired and full length resized.
    The difference i am seeing is between the extractor lip and the body of the case. On the lapua cases the angle is steeper than on the hornady case. hopefully that makes sense. I will try to post a photo.
    edited November -1
    no luck with the photos..sorry
    edited November -1
    Ok I am going to hang with ya here for a few to figure this out-

.583 is -.006 of spec. Now measure your shell holder opening. Is your shell holder "MAKE" Lyman? RCBS? Redding? ETC.
    edited November -1
    Lyman shell holder #17 .614
    edited November -1
    I just found the issue

lapua case measured in between extractor lip and case .513
    hornady case measured same place .491

The #17 holder measures .505

The lapua cases are thicker
    edited November -1
    Lee shell holder is a #5 [:D]. See this is a good Q&A Session Makes me look and recheck and makes you look and recheck.[:D][^] Safety is what it is all about in the end.[:)]
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you figured out you case problem.

I like the Imperial size wax my self for sizing brass.

Franc, what ratio do you like to mix up your lube?
    edited November -1
    Thanks I just ordered some imperial.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    Glad you figured out you case problem.

I like the Imperial size wax my self for sizing brass.

Franc, what ratio do you like to mix up your lube?

In a small 6-8oz spray bottle it's about 96:1 Iso-to lanolin. I mix it by feel. I spray some on a test case, let it dry and it should be just tacky.

Funny- I just stumbled upon that by reading the Frankfort spray lube bottle and the ingredients were Isopropyl Alcohol and pure lanolin. It clicked in my head, "Hey! I can get both ingredients at the health food store!"

Played with the mixture a little, Viola! spray case lube for one tenth the price.[:D]
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do you get the "tacky" off? Do you size, then use your sonic cleaner to get the lube off?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    How do you get the "tacky" off? Do you size, then use your sonic cleaner to get the lube off?

Yep, or tumbler.