In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

case trimming

7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
Hi guys,

I am reloading .223 and my case trimming equipment seems to be trimming cases to .003" or so less than 1.750", which is the suggested case length. The maximum case length is 1.760". Should I be worried that apparently my cases are ending up .003" shorter than the recommended case length?

Comments

• 7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew a guy who used a cordless drill to trim his cases, without hooking it up to a rcbs or forster type trimmer. Anybody else do this and know what parts are required and who makes them? Not alot to go on, but I know somebody knows what I'm talking about.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope, being .003 below suggested is not a problem at all.
    The SAAMI drawing for that cartridge shows a case length of 1.760 -.030.
    Or to put it another way, Min length (per SAAMI) is 1.730, max length is 1.760 and trim to is what ever length you like between those 2 (SAAMI doesn't list/give "trim to" specs).

FWIW, the chamber has a minimum length to the mouth of 1.772 + .015, per the same drawing.

www.saami.org/pubresources/cc_drawings/Rifle/223%20Remington.pdf
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The maximum case length is 1.60"."
    I think you meant 1.760". I trim to 1.750" but I agree with Tailgunner, .003" short of that is not a cause for concern. 1.730" while specs say OK, seems short to me. That neck is kind of short on that case to begin with wihout making it shorter yet.
  • 7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks a lot. That is good to know guys.

Chamferring after trimming. How should it look after I chamfer / deburr?
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7.62x39Lover
    Thanks a lot. That is good to know guys.

Chamferring after trimming. How should it look after I chamfer / deburr?

Smooth and purdy [;)][:p]
  • hfd_311hfd_311 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure what you are using as a trimmer but you should be able to adjustthat .003 too short out of it. When I process new brass for my varmint rifles I do run them all thru the trimmer. It is mostly to square up the necks. Anyway I find the shortest case in the lot and trim it just enough to get the neck squared up then trim all the rest to that setting. This is provided that setting lands within the reccomended length. If over time I get enough stretch that they need trimmed I use the same process. Don't have a lot of stretch over several loadings if you only neck size. But have to shoot in same gun if only neck sizing.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I am reloading .223 and my case trimming equipment seems to be trimming cases to .003" or so less than 1.750"

Just wondering what kind of case trimmer are you using that cuts the brass short? The Lee case trimmer uses the case length gauge with it and you can't cut the brass to short with it. Both of them together cost a little less than $12.00 bucks.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476992/lee-case-trimmer-cutter-and-lock-stud
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/107333/lee-case-length-gage-and-shellholder-223-remington

casetrimmer_zpsc16179e1.jpg
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7.62x39Lover
    Hi guys,

I am reloading .223 and my case trimming equipment seems to be trimming cases to .003" or so less than 1.750", which is the suggested case length. The maximum case length is 1.760". Should I be worried that apparently my cases are ending up .003" shorter than the recommended case length?

Nope. I do .005+- on my bolt guns. Depending on Bolt Vs. Semi-Auto Vs your load. Document you length expansion. You will find a happy trim case length between reloadings so you don't have to trim every time.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've worn out a couple of LEE trimmer gauges. The little tip wears down causing the cases to be short. If this is your problem, send the gauge back to LEE and they will replace it(might take a while these days).
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:send the gauge back to LEE and they will replace it(might take a while these days).

They must be covered up with orders these days with all the new people getting into reloading since the great ammo shortage struck. I ordered another set of Lee shell holders from Midway and they've been on back order for 5 weeks now and they're not scheduled to get anything else shipped from Lee until the 28th of May.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a turret press on BO for 3 months. Guess it'll show up some time. Don't need it right now anyway but hope it's here by October.
  • distinguisheddistinguished Member Posts: 62
    edited November -1
    I would not worry about being slightly short.
    Next time you may not need to trim them at all, maybe.